34th Regiment, Ohio Infantry
For more information on the history of 34th Ohio Infantry see the following:
- The Civil War Archive section, 34th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 August 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 34th Ohio Infantry
- The wikipedia article, 34th Ohio Infantry (accessed 16 October 2011)
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - see Roster.
Company B - see Roster.
Company C - see Roster.
Company D - see Roster.
Company G - see Roster.
Company H - see Roster.
Company I - see Roster.
Company K - see Roster.
- 34th Ohio Regiment Infantry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- - National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- John E. Hopley, History of Crawford County, Ohio and Representative Citizens, (Chicago, Illinois : Richmond-Arnold Publishing Company, 1912), page 485. Digital version on Internet Archive. Also FHL book 977.127 H2h and FHL film 934888 Item 3
- Ira S. Owens, Greene County soldiers in the late war : being a history of the Seventy-Fourth O. V. I., with sketches of the Twelfth, Nineth-Fourth, One Hundred and Tenth, Forty-Fourth, Tenth Ohio Battery ... together with a list of Greene County's soldiers, ( [2nd ed., enl. and rev.] Dayton, Ohio : Christian Pub. House, 1884). Digital version on Internet Archive. Also on FHL fiche 6118223