3rd Battalion, North Carolina Senior Reserves
Organized with three companies at Goldsboro on 31 May 1864. Increased to a regiment and designated as the 78th Infantry Regiment (8th Senior Reserves) in early 1865.
"Units of the Confederate States Army" by Joseph H. Crute, Jr. contains no history for this unit.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - many men from Franklin County
Company C - many men from Granville County
Captain Mark Durham's Company - many men from Orange County
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘North Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- North Carolina in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for North Carolina, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of The Confederate Armies: North Carolina. Facts On file New York - Oxford 1992.FHL book 975 M2ss
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Mathew M Brown, and Michael W Coffey. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 1. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol. 2