3rd Regiment, Colorado Infantry (Union)
The 3rd Regiment, Colorado Infantry was organized at Denver and Camp Weld, Colorado, September, 1862, to January, 1863. It moved to St. Louis October, 1863, for consolidation with the 2nd Colorado Infantry to form the 2nd Regiment, Colorado Cavalry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Wikipedia article,3rd Colorado Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Colorado in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Colorado in the Civil War describes many Union sources, specifically for Colorado, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. COLORADO 1st Cavalry 2nd Cavalry Mclain's Independent Battery, Light Artillery 2nd Infantry 3rd Infantry Denver City Home Guards, 6 months, 1861-1862. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, 1964), FHL film 1488456.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).