3rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 3rd Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in June 4, 1861 at Camp Dennison, near Cincinnati, Ohio. They mustered out June 23, 1864 at Camp Dennison, Ohio. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Infantry (3 years), (accessed 24 August 2012).
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 3rd Ohio Infantry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A -
Company B -
Company C -
Company D -
Company E -
Company F -
Company G -
Company H -
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- 3rd Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Roster by Companies, and showing age and rank.
- Beatty, John. The citizen-soldier, or, Memoirs of a volunteer. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118136
- Keifer, Joseph Warren. Slavery and four years of war : a political history of slavery in the United States, together with a narrative of the campaigns and battles of the Civil War in which the author took part, 1861-1865. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL Fiche 6118138; Fiche 6118139 and The battle of Rich Mountain and some incidents : paper read before the Ohio Commandery of the Loyal Legion, December 6th, 1911. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118137
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 3rd (1861-1864). Roster of the Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, 1889. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988), FHL film 1688769 Item 2 and Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118135