3rd Regiment, Rhode Island Cavalry
The 3rd Regiment, Rhode Island Cavalry was organized at Providence September 12, 1863.
It was mustered out November 29, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 3rd Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 7 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 3rd Rhode Island Cavalry, (accessed 7 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors database lists 1,625 men on its roster for this unit. Roster.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archives Union Regimental Histories in Rhode Island(accessed 22 March 2013)
- Wikipedia 3rd Rhode Island Cavalry (accessed 22 March 2013)
- Union Army Regimental History Index Civil war Archives (accessed 22 March 2013)
- Parkhurst, Charles H. (Charles Henry). Incidents of cavalry service in Louisiana. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL Fiche 6083349
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)