40th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
This regiment was organized during the fall of 1861 and raised its companies in Bartow, Calhoun, Gordon, Whitfield, Paulding, and Haralson counties. National Park Service, 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster on page 341; USGenWeb
- Company A - Paulding County - see - Roster on page 342; USGenWeb
- Company B - ("Bartow Sentinels or Howard Guards") Bartow County - see - Roster on page 351; USGenWeb
- Company C - Floyd County - see - Roster on page 359; USGenWeb
- Company D - ("Calhoun Blues") Gordon County - see - Roster on page 367; USGenWeb
- Company E - ("Gordon Infantry") Gordon County - see - Roster on page 375; USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Paulding Washington Guards") Paulding County - see - Roster on page 383; USGenWeb
- Company G - ("Haralson Defenders") Haralson County - see - Roster on page 394; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Veach Guards") Bartow County - see - Roster on page 403; USGenWeb
- Company I - ("Gilmer Tigers #2") Gilmer County - see - Roster on page 410; USGenWeb
- Company K - ("Haralson Invincibles") Haralson County - see - Roster on page 417; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST; also on USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Bogle, Joseph. Historical sketches of Barton's (later Stovall's) Georgia Brigade, Army of the Tennessee, C.S.A : with complete roster of the 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd and 52nd regiments. (Dayton, Ohio : Morningside House, c1984), FHL book 973 M2bog and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082373
- Goodson, Gary Ray. Georgia Confederate 7,000 : new research: Army of Tennessee, Georgia infantry brigade incredible history. (Shawnee, Colorado : Goodson Enterprises Inc, c1995, c1997, c2000),),FHL book 975.8 M2g pts. 1 - 3 digitized and The Civil War historical sketches of private-Marion Washington Goodson Georgia 40th infantry, company F - Paulding Washington guards : and the Confederate States of America army of Tennessee, Georgia infantry brigades - 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 52nd, American Civil War, 1861-1865. (Highlands Ranch, Colorado : G.R. Goodson, c1994), (Highlands Ranch, Colorado : G.R. Goodson, c1994), FHL book 921.73 A1 no. 767 digitized
- Herring, Dorothy Holland. Company A of the Fourtieth Georgia Regiment in Confederate service. ([Jonesboro, Georgia : D.H. Herring, 198-?]), FHL book 975.8373 M2h digitized
- Holcombe, G. M. Reminiscences of an Old Man : a collection of articles on Georgia, 40th Regiment Georgia Volunteers. (Cullman, Alabama: Cullman County Public Library System Press, 2000), FHL book 975.839 H2h
- King, John H. (John Henry).Three hundred days in a Yankee prison : reminiscenses of war life, captivity, imprisonment at Camp Chase, Ohio. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990) FHL Fiche 6082349
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).