4th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry
The 4th Regiment, Michigan Cavalry was organized at Detroit, Michigan. The Regiment mustered in August 28, 1862. It was mustered out July 1, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 12 July 2012).
For a history of this regiment see 4th Regiment Michigan Volunteer Cavalry 1862-1865 which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies <
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Lanman, Charles. The Red Book of Michigan : a Civil, Military and Biographical History . pages 271-273. (2007 University of Pittsburgh, digital library. Digital copy.
- Vale, Joseph G."Minty and the Cavalry. A History of Cavalry Campaigns in the Western Armies" (Harrisburg, Pa: E.K. Meyers, printers, 1886). Digital copy. and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service, 1976),FHL Film 1491118 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1994), FHL fiche 6118495 Other Libraries
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).