4th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry (Union)
This regiment was organized February, 1862, by consolidation of Fremont Hussars and three Companies Hollan Horse. Attached to 3rd Brigade, Army of Southwest Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to March, 1862. Cavalry, 2nd Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, to May, 1862. Cavalry 3rd Division, Army of Southwest Missouri, to July, 1862. District of Eastern Arkansas, Dept. of Missouri, to October, 1862. Cavalry Brigade, Army of Southeast Missouri, Dept. of Missouri, till April, 1863. District of Columbus, Ky., 6th Division, 16th Army Corps, Dept. of Tennessee, to December, 1863. Waring's Detached Brigade, Dist. of Columbus, to January, 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Cavalry Division, 16th Army Corps, to June, 1864. 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, Sturgis' Expedition, June, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Cavalry Division, Dist. of West Tennessee, to December, 1864. 1st Brigade, Cavalry Division, District of West Tennessee, to June, 1865. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division Cavalry Corps, Military Division West Mississippi, and Dept. of Texas to November, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 13 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles,companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier or sailor. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in 'Missouri in the Civil War' and 'United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865' (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Missouri in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Missouri, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Burns, William S. Recollections of the 4th Missouri Cavalry. (Dayton, Ohio : Morningside House, 1988), FHL book 977.8 M2bw
- Waring, George E. (George Edwin). Whip and spur. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990), FHL fiche 6082526
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 5 Oct 2011 ).