4th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery
The 4th Regiment, New York Heavy Artillery was ,ustered in at New York November, 1861, to February, 1862 and mustered out September 26, 1865..
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Heavy Artillery, (accessed 1 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Brown, A. C. (Augustus Cleveland). Diary of a line officer. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992.) FHL Collection
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited at Civil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line)
- Hawks, Steve.The Civil War in the East. Database.
- Kirk, Hyland Clare. Heavy guns and light : a history of the 4th New York Heavy Artillery. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992), FHL fiche 6083583
- Lee, Henry Thomas. The last campaign of the Army of the Potomac from a "Mud-crusher's" point of view : a paper prepared and read before California Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States, March 23, 1893. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083584
- Lockwood, James D. Life and adventures of a drummer-boy, or Seven Years as a soldier. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083585
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs."Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- Thompson, Joseph Parrish; Gray, William Cullen Bryant.Bryant Gray : the student, the Christian, the soldier. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083586
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book,FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).