4th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
The 4th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry was organized at Providence, 1861. The old members were mustered out October 15, 1864. The Veterans and Recruits were consolidated with 7th Rhode Island Infantry.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 4th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 4th Rhode Island Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
- Forty-six months with the Fourth R. I. volunteers, in the war of 1861 to 1865 Library of Congress E Book on line
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company G - Captain George W. Tew - many men from Newport County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Books and Films
- Allen, George H. Forty-six months with the Fourth Rhode Island Volunteers in the war of 1861 to 1865, comprising a history of its marches, battles and camp life. Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083362 and (Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1987 ), FHL film 1550109
- Shearman, Summer U. (Summer Upham). Battle of the Crater and experiences of prison life. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083363
- Sholes, Albert E. A dream of the past. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083364
- Spooner, Henry J. (Henry Joshua). The Maryland campaign with the Fourth Rhode Island. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083365
- Albros in the Civil War - lists people with the surname of Albro in the Civil War.
- Antietam.aotw.org - has information on officers, maps, battlefield tablets and chain of command.
- Brown's on the Civil War from Rhode Island - list people with the surename of Brown in the Civil War.
- Civil War in the East is a reference guide to America's Civil War.
- Civil War Reference.com - History of the 4th Rhode Island Infantry Regiment.
- Mattesons in the Civil War - lists people with the surname of Matteson in the Civil War.
- Union Army Regimental History Index - is an index of regimental Histories
- Wikipedia has brief history, service, losses and references.