54th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate)
Organized at Savannah, Georgia, during the summer of 1862, contained men recruited in the counties of Lamar, Appling, Harris, Muscogee, Bartow, Chatham, and Barrow. 
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officers, Non-Commissioned Offices, and Staff - see - Roster - on page 620-622
- Company A - ("Lamar Infantry") Bibb County - see - Roster - on page 622-637; USGenWeb
- Company B - Appling County - see - Roster - on page 637-647; USGenWeb
- Company C - ("Bartow Infantry") Emanuel County - see - Roster - on page 647-657; USGenWeb
- Company D - Screven County - see - Roster - on page 657-666
- Company E - Berrien County - see - Roster - on page 667-675; USGenWeb
- Company F - ("Savannah Cadets") Chathan County - see - Roster - on page 676-691; USGenWeb
- Company G - Muscogee County - see - Roster - on page 691-699; USGenWeb
- Company H - ("Russell Guards") Muscogee County - see - Roster - on page 699-709; USGenWeb
- Company I - Effingham County - see - Roster - on page 709-719; USGenWeb
- Company K - Appling County- see - Roster - on page 719-731; USGenWeb
Georgia, and Lillian Henderson. 1959. Roster of the Confederate soldiers of Georgia, 1861-1865. Hapeville, Ga: Longina & Porter. WorldCat FHL Collection HATHI TRUST Digital Library HATHI TRUST; also on USGenWeb
- Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project - Civil War Records - Individual Soldiers
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Georgia in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Georgia in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Georgia, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).