55th Regiment, Indiana Infantry (3 months, 1862)
This Unit was rganized at Indianapolis, Indiana, for three months June 16, 1862. It was in Battle of Richmond, Kentucky, August 30. They were mostly captured and Paroled and sent to Indianapolis, Indiana. They mustered out September 6 to October 23, 1862. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 55th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 619
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 620
- Company F- no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 622
- Company G - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 623
- Company H - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 624
- Company I - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 627
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 627
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 55th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 55th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 55th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Militay" Chapter 20 in Tucker, E. 1882. History of Randolph County, Indiana: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers: to which are appended maps of its several townships. (Chicago: A.L. Klingman.), (page 258, Regiment, Company, some Name's), 977.266 H2t FHL US/CAN Large Q Book FHL Collection other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE