55th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company B - many men from Wilkes County
Company C - "Cleveland Grays" - many men from Cleveland County
Company D - "Cleveland Farmers" - many men from Cleveland County
Company E - many men from Pitt County
Company F - "South Mountain Rangers" - many men from Cleveland County
Company I - "Franklin Farmers" - many men from Franklin County
The information about the companies comes from A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865
Information about the companies and their rosters are in Manarin and Jordan, North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘North Carolina in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- North Carolina in the Civil War describes many sources, specifically for North Carolina, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Walter Clark. Histories of the several regiments and battalions from North Carolina in the Great War, 1861-'65 ( Nash Brothers, Book and Job Printers, Goldsboro, N.C., 1901). Internet Archive.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).
- Sifakis, Stewart. Compendium of The Confederate Armies: North Carolina. Facts On file New York - Oxford 1992.FHL book 975 M2ss
- A Guide to Military Organizations and Installations North Carolina 1861-1865, (accessed 30 March 2011)
- Manarin, Louis H., and Weymouth T. Jordan. North Carolina Troops 1861-1865 A Roster. Vol 13. Raleigh, N.C.: State Dept. of Archives and History, 1966. FHL book975.6 M2nc Vol 13