57th Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at Richmond, Indiana, and mustered in November 18, 1861. It was ordered to New Orleans, Louisiana, June 16; thence to Texas July. They had duty at Green Lake and San Antonio, Texas, till December and mustered out December 14, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 57th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 57th Regiment Indiana Infantry, (accessed 21June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer and Non-Commissioned Office - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Henry andHancock counties - see Roster on page 628
- Company B - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 630
- Company C - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 633
- Company D - many men from Wayne, Martin, Owen, Adams, and Randolph counties - see Roster on page 634
- Company E - many men from Delaware County - see Roster on page 636
- Company F- many men from Delaware, Henry and Madison counties - see Roster on page 638
- Company G - many men from Howard County - see Roster on page 640
- Company H - many men from Hamilton County - see Roster on page 642
- Company I - many men from Wayne County - see Roster on page 643
- Company K - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 645
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 648
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 57th Regimen, Indiana Infantry on CIVIL WAR INDEX web site. (accessed 21 Jan 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 57th Regiments, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 57th Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 57th Indiana Infantry Regiment - Company G (accessed 13 Dec 2010) roster (Howard Country)
- Markle, DeWitt C., "'...The True Definition of War': The Civil War Diary of DeWitt C. Markle", (ed. Erich L. Ewald, Indiana Magazine of History 89, no. 2 (June 1993): 125-135.), 1863, Madison County (Markleville), 57th Indiana Volunteer Infantry Abstract and Bibliographic Information article PDF (accessed 11 Apr 2011)
- Kerwood, Asbury L. Annals of the Fifty-Seventh Regiment Indiana Volunteers. Marches, Battles, and Incidents of Army Life. Dayton: O.W.J. Shuey, 1868. FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084400 (4 fiche) FHL Collection other library
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Militay" Chapter 20 in Tucker, E. 1882. History of Randolph County, Indiana: with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of its prominent men and pioneers: to which are appended maps of its several townships. (Chicago: A.L. Klingman.), (page 261-262, Regiment, Company, some Name's), 977.266 H2t FHL US/CAN Large Q Book FHL Collection other librariesINTERNET ARCHIVE