5th Regiment, Michigan Infantry
The 5th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at: Detroit, Michigan and mustered in August 28, 1861. It was mustered out July 5, 1865 at Jeffersonville, Indiana.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section ,5th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 20 July 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 5th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 20 July 2012).
For a history of this regiment see 5th Michigan Volunteer Cavalry Regiment which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Gunn, Jane Augusta Terry. "Memorial Sketches of Doctor Moses Gunn" (Chicago: W.T. Keener, 1889). Digital Copy.
- Michigan, and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Fifth Infantry]". Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905. Digital copy. FHL Fiche 6084639. Other Libraries
- Sebrell, Thomas E. "A Regimental History of the 5th Michigan Infantry Regiment from Its Formation Through the Seven Days Campaign" (Blacksburg, Va: University Libraries, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2004). Digital copy. Other Libraries
- Sweet, A. K. "Reminiscences An Interesting Historical Resume given by comrade A.K. Sweet, at the Golden Anniversary, Fifth Michigan V.V. Infantry" (Flint, Michigan: August, 30, 1911).FHL Fiche 6084640 Other Libraries
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).