5th Regiment, Rhode Island Heavy Artillery
The 5th Regiment, Rhode Island Heavy Artillery was organized at New Berne, North Carolina, from 5th Rhode Island Infantry, May 27, 1863. The designation of the regiment was changed to 5th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery July, 1863. Mustered out June 26, 1865. 
For more information see Civil War Archives (accessed 28 March 2013).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company E - many men from Newport County
Company G - many men from Newport County
Company H - many men from Newport County
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
Books and Films
- Barney, C. Henry (Caleb Henry). A country boy's first three months in the army. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083319
- Burlingame, John K. History of the Fifth Regiment of Rhode Island Heavy Artillery during three years and a half of service in North Carolina : January 1862 - June 1865. (Washington [District of Columbia] : Filmed by the Library of Congress Photoduplication Service, 1987), FHL film 1550111 and (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083320
- Douglas, William W. (William Wilberforce). Relief of Washington, North Carolina, by the Fifth Rhode Island Volunteers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083366
- History of the Fifth Regiment of Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, during three years and a half of service in North Carolina, January 1862- June 1865 (1892); Burlingame, John K., comp. This book can be view online at www. archive.org and books.google.com or purchased on ebay.com.
- civilwarintheeast.com - a reference guide to America's Civil War
- findagrave - Monument to Robert S. Brownell, Jr. and Kady McKenzie
- henrytsisson.com - Henry Sisson appointed Colonel in command of 5th Regiment Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, Nov. 5, 1862