62nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry
The 62nd Regiment, Ohio Infantry mustered in September 17 to December 24, 1861 at Zanesville, McConnellsville and Somerton, Ohio. They were mustered out December 7, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- Larry Stevens' Ohio in the Civil War, 62nd Ohio Infantry
- The Civil War Archive section, 62nd Regiment Infantry, (accessed 30 August 2012),
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A -
Company B -
Company C -
Company D -
Company E -
Company F -
Company G -
Company H -
Company I -
Company K -
- 62nd Ohio Regiment Infantry, Civil War Index, which includes history, battles, and roster with name, rank, age, date entered service, period of service and remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Ohio in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Ohio in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Ohio, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Moore, Francis M. (Francis Marion). Ghosts or devils, I'm done : the startling adventure of two officers of the 62nd Ohio Infantry on Polly Island, S.C. during General Gilmore's seige [sic] of Fort Sumpter in the War of the Rebellion and the story which incited their adventure. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1993), FHL fiche 6118216
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 62nd (1861-1865). Roster and reunions of the Sixty-second Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry regimental association. (Columbus, Ohio : Ohio Historical Society, 1988), FHL film 1688767 Item 7
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).