68th Regiment, New York Infantry
The 68th Regiment, New York Infantry was organized at New York City August 1-20, 1861. It was assigned at various times to various places and commands. The regiment mustered out November 30, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit,see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 68th Regiment Infantry "Cameron Rifles" "2nd German Rifle Regiment", (accessed 9 August 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 68th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 9 August 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The men for this company were mostly recruited in New York City, a few in New Jersey, Maryland and Pennsylvania.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘New York in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- New York in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for New York, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Frederick Henry Dyer, A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, (Des Moines, Iowa: Dyer Publishing Co., 1908), as cited atCivil War Soldiers; Sailors System (database on-line).
- Fritsch, Friedrich Otto.A gallant captain of the civil war : being the record of the extraordinary adventures of Frederick Otto, baron von Fritsch, comp. from his war record in Washington and his private papers. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1992) FHL Fiche 6083736
- Hawks, Steve, The Civil War in the East. Database.
- New York State Division of Military and Naval Affairs."Unit History Project : New York State Military Museum and Veterans Research Center citing Frederick Phisterer, New York in the War of the Rebellion, 3rd ed. (Albany, N.Y.: J. B. Lyon Company, 1912).
- Phisterer, Frederick. New York in the War of the Rebellion, 1861 to 1865. Albany, New York : J.B. Lyon, 1912. Google Books, other libraries with this book, FHL Book 974.7 M2p; FHL Film 1486494-6
- The Union Army : a History of Military Affairs in the Loyal States, 1861-65, Records of the Regiments in the Union Army, Cyclopedia of Battles, Memoirs of Commanders and Soldiers, Reprint of original published: Madison, WI.: Federal Pub. Co., 1908. Other libraries with this book, FHL Books 973 M2ua, vols. 1-9
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).