6th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry
This Unit was organized at Indianapolis, Indiana, February 23, 1863, from the 71st Indiana Infantry. Company "L" organized September 1, 1863. The Non-Veterans mustered out June 17, 1865. The regiment mustered out September 15, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 26 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Officer with Staff - see Roster
- Company A - many men from Vermillion County - see Roster on page 138
- Company B - many men from Vigo County - see Roster on page 140
- Company C - many men from Putnam County - see Roster on page 142
- Company D - many men from Clay County - see Roster on page 144
- Company E - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 146
- Company F - many men from Owen, Crawford, and Clay counties - see Roster on page 148
- Company G - many men from Parke County - see Roster on page 150
- Company H - many men from Greene County - see Roster on page 152
- Company I - many men from Sullivan, Parke, and Vigo counties - see Roster on page 154
- Company K - many men of Adams County - see Roster on page 156
- Company L - no cities or counties given - see Roster on page 158
- Company M - many men from Vigo, Clay, Floyd, Posey, and Marion counties - see - Roster on page 159
- Unassigned Recruits - see Roster on page 161
The list of companies with their counties and their rosters are on the 71st Indiana Regiment/6th Indiana Cavalry web site. (accessed 17 Jan 2011)
- Indiana State Digital Achives for Civil War can be searched by soldier's name (accessed 1 May 2011)
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 28 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 6th Regiment, Indiana Cavalry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 28 Dec 2010) article on the 6th Regimental, Indiana Cavalry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 28 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- 71th Indiana Regiment / 6th Indiana Cavalry (accesstry 28 Dec 2010) is a history, and rosted of company "A"-"M".
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).
- "Military History Of Verllion County" Chapter 6 in B.F. Bowen Co. History of Parke and Vermillion Counties, Indiana: With Historical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families. (Indianapolis: B.F. Bowen, 1913.), (page 279) 977.2 H2hpv FHL US/CAN Book FHL Collection other libraries INTERNET ARCHIVE