6th Regiment, Iowa Cavalry
This Unit was organized at Davenport January 31 to March 5, 1863. They mustered out October 17, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Cavalry, (accessed 27 June 2012).
- The Wikipedia article, 6th Regiment Iowa Volunteer Cavalry, (accessed 27 June 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
Company A - from Scott County and other counties
Company B - from Dubuque and other counties
Company C - from Fayette County with some Scott County
Company D - from Winneshiek County with Scott County
Company E - from the southwest counties of Iowa and Scott County
Company F - from Allamakee County and other counties
Company G - from Delaware County and Buchanan County with Scott County
Company H - from Linn County with Scott County
Company I - from Johnson County and other counties with Scott County
Company K - from Linn County
Company M - from Johnson County and Dubuque County with Scott County
Information about the companies and their counties from Iowa Military Records
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Iowa in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Iowa in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Iowa, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Drips, Joseph H. Three years among the Indians in Dakota. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976), FHL film 989444 Item 1
- Myers, Frank. Soldiering in Dakota among the Indians in 1863-4-5. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1976), FHL film 989444 Item 2
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).