6th Regiment, Vermont Infantry
The 6th Regiment, Vermont Infantry was organized at Montpelier and mustered in October 15, 1861. The regiment mustered out June 26, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 6th Vermont Infantry, see the following:
- The Wikipedia article, 6th Vermont Infantry, accessed 21 November 2011.
- The Civil War Archive section, 6th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 14 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Vermont in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Vermont in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Vermont, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Civil War in the East, 6th Regiment, Vermont Infantry, (accessed 3 April 2013).
- Breakthrough Battle at Petersburg, 6th Regiment of Vermont Infantry, (accessed 3 April 2013).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).