71st Regiment, Indiana Infantry
This Unit was organized at Terre Haute, Indiana, July 21 to August 18, 1862. and mustered in at Indianapolis August 18, 1862. The designation of Regiment changed to 6th Indiana Cavalry February 22, 1863. (See 6th Indiana Cavalry). 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 71st Regiment Infantry, (accessed 10 May 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
see 71st Indiana Regiment / 6th Indiana Cavalry
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Indiana in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Indiana in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Indiana, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- The Civil War Archive. (accessed 13 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 71st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Wikipedia (accessed 13 Dec 2010) article on the 71st Regiment, Indiana Infantry.
- Union Army Regimental History Index (accessed 14 Dec 2010) Index Of Regimental Histories: Artillery, Cavalry, Infantry, and other units, states Alabama to Indiana
- The Civil War Archive, information is from A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion, by Frederick H. Dyer, histories, diaries, etc., (accessed 6 December 2010).