75th Regiment, Illinois Infantry
The 75th Regiment, Illinois Infantry was organized at Dixon, Illinois, and mustered in on September 2, 1862. It mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee on June 12, 1865 and discharged at Chicago, Illinois on July 1, 1865.
For more information on the history of the 75th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, see the following:
• Wikipedia, (accessed 30 Dec 2010) article on the 75th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
•The Civil War Archive. (accessed 30 Dec 2010) Brief history of the 75th Regiment Infantry.
Companies in this Regiment with County of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
The following counties of origin are taken from the Adjutant General's Report, found on the Illinois Civil War Rosters web site. Roster pages are from the same report found on the Internet Archives web site. The rosters show the men who served in each regiment, their residences, dates of enlistment and mustering out, and other remarks.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Illinois in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Illinois in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Illinois, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Illinois Civil War Rosters from the Adjutant General's Report, 75th Regiment (accessed 22 Feb. 2011) includes rosters of all the regiments and information on the different companies in each regiment.
- Illinois State Archives - Illinois Civil War Muster and Descriptive Rolls Database (accessed 14 June 2011). Search by residence, unit, regiment, company or soldier.
BOOKS AND FILMS
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois. Illinois Military Units in the Civil War. (Springfield, [Ill.]:Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois, c1962).FHL Collection.FHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2im and FHL US/CAN FIlm 6334558. Other libraries with this book. Includes millitary units by county, infantry, cavalry, and artillery regiments, including independent artillery.
- United States. War Department. Record and Pension Office. Compiled Records Showing Service of Military Units in Volunteer Union Organizations. (Washington, District of Columbia : The National Archives, c1964).FHL Collection 65th-75th Infantry FHL US/CAN Film 1488477. Other libraries with this microfilm. View online at Internet Archives.
- Vance, Joseph W and Illinois. Adjutant General's Office. Report of the Adjutant General of the State of Illinois, 1861-1866 .(Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1957, 1980).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1670784. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.Rosters of officers, enlisted men, and historical memoranda of the regiments.
- Dodge, Wm. Sumner and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 75th (1862-1865). A Waif of the War, or, the History of the Seventy-Fifth Illinois Infantry Embracing the Entire Campaigns of the Army of the Cumberland. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1)FHL Collection FHL US/CAN Fiche 6084275. Other libraries with this book. View online at Internet Archives.
- South, Fred S and United States. Army. Illinois Infantry Regiment, 75th (1862-1865). It Never Recoiled a History of the Seventy-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry.(Prophetstown, Illinois : [s.n.], c1995).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Book 977.3 M2sf or FHL US/CAN Film 2055210 Item 7. Other libraries with this book.
- South, Fred S. The History of the 75th Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment. 1866. (Bloomington, Ind. : The Author, c 1971). Libraries with this book.
- Whiteside County (Illinois). County Clerk. Miscellaneous Military Records, 1861-ca. 1863. (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, c1977). Contains "Statement showing county or orders drawn for board bills and for relief of the families of volunteer soldiers 1861 & 1862"; record of volunteers 1862; township quotas; final muster roll of Robert Hale's Co. Illinois 75th regiment volunteers; recruits since 1863. ).FHL CollectionFHL US/CAN Film 1021132 Items 4-8.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 January 2011).