7th Regiment, Michigan Infantry
The 7th Regiment, Michigan Infantry was organized at: Monroe, Michigan and mustered in August 22, 1861. The regiment mustered out July 5, 1865 and returned to Jackson, Michigan.
For a history of this regiment see Michigan in the Civil War Website which gives a brief history, places served, battles fought, commanders and company rosters.
- The Wikipedia article, 7th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, (accessed 13 July 2012).
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry,(accessed 20 July 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
See Rosters, as there were men from many different Counties in these Companies
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Michigan in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Michigan in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Michigan, and how to find them. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Conner, Albert Z. Jr. The 7th Michigan Infantry Regiment, "Forlorn Hope" website. gives history of battles with some illustrations.
- Michigan, and George H. Turner. "Record of Service of Michigan Volunteers in the Civil War, 1861-1865 [Seventh Infantry]" (Lansing, Mich: Michigan Adjutant-General's Dept, 1905). FHL Fiche 6084644 Other Libraries.
- Townshend, David G. "The Seventh Michigan Volunteer Infantry: The Gallant Men and Flag in the Civil War, 1861 to 1865" (Fort Lauderdale, FL: Southeast Publications, 1993). FHL Book 977.4 M2to Other Libraries.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 4 November 2010).