7th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
The 7th Regiment, Rhode Island was organized at Providence May to September, 1862. It was mustered out June 9, 1865.
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Civil War Archive section, 7th Regiment Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
- The Wikipedia Article, 7th Rhode Island Infantry, (accessed 6 November 2012).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Grandchamp, Robert. The Seventh Rhode Island Infantry in the Civil War. (Jefferson, North Carolina : McFarland and Co., c2007), FHL book 974.5 M2gr and The boys of Adams' Battery G : the Civil War through the eyes of a Union light artillery unit. (FHL book 974.5 M2g
- Hopkins, William P.The Seventh Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers in the Civil War, 1862-1865. (Providence [Rhode Island] : Providence Press, 1903), FHL book 974.5 M2hand (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083368
- United States. Army. Rhode Island Infantry Regiment, 7th (1862-1865). Seventh Regiment Rhode Island Volunteers : exhibition of the Vicksburg Statue. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1991), FHL fiche 6083367
- Albros in the Civil War- A list of people with the surname of Albros.
- Brown's in the Civil War - A list of people with the surname of Brown from Rhode Island.
- Wikipedia - Article on the 7th Regiment, Rhode Island Infantry
- Civil War Archive - Union Regimental Histories
- Civil War in the East- A reference guide to America's Civil War
- Civil War Reference. com - History of the 7th Rhode Island Infantry Regiment.
- Mattesons in the Civil War- People with the surname of Matteson in the Civil War.
- Rhode Island USGenWeb Project - exerpts from letters written by service men in the 7th Regiment, RI
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, (accessed 6 December 2010).