7th Squadron, Rhode Island Cavalry (3 months, 1862)
The 7th Squadron, Rhode Island Cavalry was organized at Providence and mustered in for three months June 24, 1862. It was mustered out September 26, 1862, when the term of service expired. 
For more information on the history of this unit, see:
- The Wikipedia Article,7th Squadron, Rhode Island Cavalry, (accessed 28 March 2013).
Companies in this Regiment with the Counties of Origin
Men often enlisted in a company recruited in the counties where they lived though not always. After many battles, companies might be combined because so many men were killed or wounded. However if you are unsure which company your ancestor was in, try the company recruited in his county first.
- Beginning United States Civil War Research gives steps for finding information about a Civil War soldier. It covers the major records that should be used. Additional records are described in ‘Mississippi in the Civil War’ and ‘United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865’ (see below).
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System, is searchable by soldier's name and state. It contains basic facts about soldiers on both sides of the Civil War, a list of regiments, descriptions of significant battles, sources of the information, and suggestions for where to find additional information.
- Rhode Island in the Civil War describes many Confederate and Union sources, specifically for Mississippi, and how to find them.. These include compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- United States Civil War, 1861 to 1865 describes and explains United States and Confederate States records, rather than state records, and how to find them. These include veterans’ censuses, compiled service records, pension records, rosters, cemetery records, Internet databases, published books, etc.
- Boykin, Edward M. The falling flag : evacuation of Richmond, retreat and surrender at Appomattox. (Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990) FHL Fiche 6082616
- William H. Stevens Letters, 1862-1863, located at the Southern Historical Collection, The Wilson Library, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. www.lib.unc
- Wikipedia.org The Wikipedia Article,7th Squadron, Rhode Island Cavalry, (accessed 28 March 2013).
- Archive.org - The full text of "History of the Seventh Squadron Rhode Island Cavalry"
- history.rays-place.com - Dartmouth Cavalry Company B, Seventrh Squadron Rhode Island Volunteer Cavalry, by John Scales, Secretary and Historian of the Class of 1863, Dartmouth College.
- National Park Service, The Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System (accessed 11 January 2011)