A Complete List of Bradford's Chapels and District Churches

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Return to the Yorkshire Parishes page.

"BRADFORD (St. Peter), a borough, market-town, [is the] parish, and the head of a union, in the wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Leeds, 34 (S. W.) from York, and 196 (N. N. W.) from London; comprising the townships of Allerton, North Bierley, Bowling, Bradford, Clayton, Eccleshill, Heaton, Manningham, Shipley, and Wilsden, and the chapelries of Haworth, Horton, and Thornton [and numerous others]; the whole containing 105,257 inhabitants, of whom 34,560 are in the town.

From: Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 326-331. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50819 Date accessed: 02 September 2011.

Here is a complete list of Bradford chapelries and district churches as of 1881:


The following chapels, district churches and chapelries were also attached to and lying within the parish boundary of Bradford St Peter [Note: If after having unsuccessfully searched St Peter's parish registers then be certain to next search each of these associated chapels--where registers are applicable--as well before continuing searches in adjoining parishes!]:


There are places of worship for--

  • Baptists
  • Society of Friends
  • Independents
  • Primitive Methodists
  • Wesleyans
  • Unitarians
  • Roman Catholics


References:

1. Royal, Edward, Bishop Bickersteth's visitation returns for the Archdeaconry of Craven. Heslington, York  (2009)

2. Samuel A. Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England. London (1848)

3.  John Marius Wilson Wilson. Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales. London (1870)