A Comprehensive List of Burnely's Chapelries, Parishes beginning with We-Z

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

BURNLEY, a market-town and parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 25 miles (N.) from Manchester, 53 (E. N. E.) from Liverpool, and 210 (N. N. W.) from London; comprising the townships of Burnley, Habergham-Eaves, Ightenhill Park, ReedleyHollows, Briercliffe-cum-Extwistle, Worsthorn-withHurstwood, and Cliviger; and containing 23,505 inhabitants, of whom 10,699 are in the township of BurnleyFrom: 'Burnett - Burrington', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 440-445. [URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50845 Date accessed: 19 February 2010.]

This large township while a chapelry (St Peter) of itself, also contained 7 township chapelries prior to the 1851 religious census--all lying within the parish boundaries of Whalley. These chapelries included: