A guide to genealogy in Cardigan, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps;
Cardigan is predominantly a Welsh language speaking community.
Cardigan is an anglicisation of the Welsh Ceredigion meaning "Ceredig's land". The town's Welsh name, Aberteifi, means "mouth of the Teifi."
CARDIGAN a sea-port, borough, market-town, and parish, and the head of a union, in the Lower division of the hundred of Troedyraur, county of Cardigan, South Wales, 232 miles (W. by N.) from London. This place, called by the Welsh Aberteivy from its situation near the mouth of the river Teivy, was probably selected, at a very early period, as an eligible site for commerce, its maritime situation affording a facility of communication with distant parts of the kingdom. The town is pleasantly situated on the north bank and near the estuary of the river Teivy, over which it has an ancient stone bridge of five arches, connecting the counties of Cardigan and Pembroke. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a spacious and venerable structure, consisting of a nave, chancel, and south porch, with a square embattled tower at the west end. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.
For more information on the town of Cardigan see Genuki - Cardigan
|before 31 March 1974||Cardiganshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Ceredigion|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464305.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 158-180. Adapted. Date accessed: 17 January 2014.