A guide to genealogy in Aberystwyth, with information on where to find birth, baptism, marriage, death and burial records; census records; wills; cemeteries; maps; ...
Aberystwyth is an important educational centre, with both Aberystwyth University and the National Library of Wales sited in the town.
ABERYSTWITH (ABER-YSTWYTH), a sea-port, borough, market town, and chapelry, in the parish of LLAN BADARN-VAWR, locally, in the lower division of the hundred of GENEU'R, GLYN, county of CARDIGAN, SOUTH WALES, 38 miles (N.E.) from Cardigan, and 208 (W. N.W.) from London. This place, from its having been fortified at a very early period, and also forming part of the ancient parish of Llanbadarn Vawr, was originally called Llan-Badarn Gaerog; whilst the small ancient village of Aber-ystwith was situated to the west of it, on ground now covered by the sea, and on the bank of the Ystwyth, into which river the Rheidol probably emptied itself, at some distance from the ocean. Many years before the erection of Old St. Michael's chapel, which was taken down in 1836, the town appears to have been deprived of a church or chapel by the encroachments of the sea. There are places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, and Roman Catholics.
For further information on Aberystwyth see Genuki - Aberystwyth
|before 31 March 1974||Cardiganshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Dyfed|
|from 1 April 1996||Ceredigion|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464302.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 12-25. Adapted. Date accessed: 17 January 2014.