Abingdon Parish, Virginia
Abingdon Parish serves Gloucester County, Virginia.
- abt 1653
The tombs in existence at Abingdon Church in 1894 are identified in:
- Tyler, Lyon G. "Inscriptions on Old Tombs in Gloucester Co., Virginia," The William and Mary Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 4 (Apr. 1894):219-229. Digital version at JSTOR ($).
A few hundred of the graves at the parish church cemetery are described at Find A Grave.
Abingdon Parish landowners and land usage from 1639 to 1659 are identified in:
- Thornton, James R. "The Hills, Gloucester County Home of the Immigrant William Thornton," The Magazine of Virginia Genealogy, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Feb. 2001):5-29. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Sinclair, Carolina Baytop. Abingdon Church: A Chronology of Its History, 1650-1970. Gloucester County, Virginia. White Marsh, Va.: Abingdon Episcopal Church, 1972. FHL Book 975.5 A1 no. 48
Abingdon and Ware Parish reports:
- Convention of 1827 (pp. 203-204)
- Convention of 1828 (p. 219)
- Convention of 1830 (p. 245)
- Convention of 1831 (p. 261)
- Convention of 1832 (p. 273)
- Convention of 1833 (p. 292)
- Convention of 1834 (p. 306)
The early registers have been abstracted:
- Lee, C.H. and Sallie Nelson Robbins. [Abingdon] Parish Register, 1678-1761. MSS. Library of Virginia. Copy: FHL Film 30159
- Robins, Robert W. The Register of Abingdon Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1677-1780. Arlington, Va.: Honford House, 1981. Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 80-85448
The original Register for Abingdon and Ware parishes, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1830-1916 is kept at the Library of Virginia. Copies: FHL Film 30160. Contains births and christenings 1830-1924, confirmations 1838-1917, list of members, communicants 1850-1914, marriages 1831-1916, deaths 1830-1918, and a few tombstone inscriptions. Includes some entries for "coloured persons".
The earlier original register was destroyed in a fire in 1916, but fortunately, the information printed, mentioned above, had been abstracted before that time.
- Abingdon Church, The Historical Marker Database
- Freddie Spradlin, "Parishes of Virginia," VAGenWeb, accessed 29 January 2011; Hening's Statutes at Large; Emily J. Salmon and Edward D.C. Campbell Jr., The Hornbook of Virginia History (Richmond: Library of Virginia, 1994).
- Epitaphs of Gloucester and Mathews Counties in Tidewater Virginia through 1865 (Richmond, Va.: Virginia State Library, 1959).
- William Meade, Old Churches, Ministers and Families of Virginia, 2 vols. (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott and Co., 1861). Digital versions at Internet Archive: Vol. I and Vol. II.
- Colonial Churches: A Series of Sketches of Churches in the Original Colony of Virginia (Richmond, Va.: Southern Churchman Co., 1907), 200-215.
- Francis Lister Hawks, A Narrative of Events Connected with the Rise and Progress of the Protestant Episcopal Church in Virginia: To Which is Added an Appendix, Containing the Journals of the Conventions in Virginia from the Commencement to the Present Time (New York: Harper and Brothers, 1836). Digital version at Google Books.
- John Frederick Dorman, "Review of The Register of Abingdon Parish, Gloucester County, Virginia, 1677-1780," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 25, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1981):223. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 25 (1981)