Abiquiu Indian Agency (New Mexico)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
Capote and Wiminuche Ute, Jicarilla Apache
The Abiquiu Agency was established in 1854 with responsibility for the Capote Ute and the Jicarilla Apache in northwestern New Mexico. With the establishment of the Cimarron Agency in 1862, the Jicarilla Apache were transferred to that agency and the Abiquiu Agency had responsibility for the Capote and Wiminuche Ute. The Abiquiu Agency was consolidated with the Pueblo Agency in 1878 and the Ute Indians were assigned to the Southern Ute Agency in Colorado. The name was changed to the Jicarilla Agency in 1881 and the supervision of the agency was transferred to the Mescalero Agency in southern New Mexico in 1882. 
Many of the historical records of this agency are housed in the Rocky Mountain Regional Archives of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) in Denver, Colorado. They are listed under the title of "Cimarron and Abiquiu (Jicarilla) Indian Agencies, NM". Most of the records in that collection are administrative and financial, rather than records of individual Indians. 
Agents and Appointment Dates
Lorenzo Labadi 1854, Diego Archuleta 1857, Jose A. Manzanares 1861, Diego Archuleta 1865, William R. M. Arny 1867, James C. French 1868, John Ayres 1869, Lt. J.B. Hanson 1869, John S. Armstrong 1871, William D. Crothers 1873, and Samuel A. Russell 1874. 
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, pp. 147-148.
- Guide to Federal Records, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Record Group 75. Available online.
- The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. By Edward E. Hill. Clearwater Publishing Co., New York, NY ©1974. FHL Book 970.1 H551o
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online