Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy
Guide to Adams County, Mississippi ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
- This article is about a southwestern Mississippi county. For other uses, see Adams.
|Adams County, Mississippi|
Location in the state of Mississippi
Location of Mississippi in the U.S.
|Founded||1799 from the Natchez District|
|Address|| Adams County Court House
Circuit Clerk (601) 446-6326 Natchez, MS 39120 Natchez City Hall (601) 445-7500 Natchez, MS 39120
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Research Guides
- 5.2 African Americans
- 5.3 Bible Records
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church Records
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Land and Property
- 5.10 Local Histories
- 5.11 Maps
- 5.12 Military
- 5.13 Naturalization
- 5.14 Newspapers
- 5.15 Occupations
- 5.16 Probate Records
- 5.17 Taxation
- 5.18 Vital Records
- 6 Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Adams County, Mississippi Record Dates
Adams County Courthouse
115 S Wall St; PO Box 1008
Natchez, MS 39120;
Clerk Chancery Court has court, land and probate records. Clerk Circuit Court has marriage and death records. 
- 1799 Adams County was created 2 April 1799 from the Natchez District.
- County seat: Natchez 
For animated maps illustrating Mississippi county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Mississippi County Boundary Maps" (1643-1947) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
- Adams County, Mississippi, Slave Certificates, 1858-1861 ($) - a collection of slave certificates from the Adams County Courthouse. Slave information may include name, gender, color, age and weight.
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Mississippi Cemeteries for more information.|
- Cemeteries and Cemetery Records Adams County MSGenWeb Project
For tips on accessing Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1820-1951 - Mississippi State Archives-Various Records, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1805 - 1890 Mississippi, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1805-1890 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1660 - 1820 U.S. Census Reconstructed Records, 1660-1820 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1792 - 1866 Mississippi, State and Territorial Census Collection, 1792-1866 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1820 Federal Census Index, Adams County USGenWeb Archives
- 1830 Federal Census Index, Adams County USGenWeb Archives
- 1840 Federal Census Index, Adams County USGenWeb Archives
- 1850 Federal Census Index, Adams County USGenWeb Archives
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Mississippi denominations, view the Mississippi Church Records wiki page.
- Court Records, Adams County USGenWeb Archives
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Mississippi Land and Property for additional information about early Mississippi land ownership. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Mississippi Local Histories.
- Men from Adams County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Adams County.
- - 10th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry (New)
- Company B - Natchez Southrons [also listed as Co. C]
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company H - Connor Battery
- - 12th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company B - Natchez Fencibles
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - Mississippi, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch.org — index/images
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861-1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1889-1942 - Mississippi, Confederate Records, 1889-1942 at FamilySearch — images
- 1900-1974 - Mississippi, Confederate Veterans and Widows Pension Applications, 1900-1974 at FamilySearch — images
- Adams County Civil War Units Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research
World War I
- World War I Service Men and Women from Adams County, Mississippi Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research
World War II
- Mississippi Index World War II Enlistees Listed by County USGenWeb Archives
- World War II Honor List of Dead and Missing Army and Army Air Forces, Adams County, MS Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research
- Korean War Casualties from Adams County, Mississippi Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research
- Viet Nam War Casualties from Adams County, Mississippi Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records are held by the Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Mississippi Probate Records, 1781-1930. See the wiki page Mississippi Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1780 – 1982 Mississippi Wills and Probate Records 1780-1982 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1781 – 1930 Mississippi Probate Records 1781-1930 at FamilySearch — images
Mississippi tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years. For more information, see Mississippi Taxation.
Finding Tax Records at Other Repositories
Additional tax records can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Adams County, Mississippi Genealogy Tax Records in online catalogs like:
- WorldCat (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- FamilySearch Catalog (For instructions see FamilySearch Catalog Place-name Search).
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912. Births and deaths are kept by the Mississippi Bureau of Vital Statistics. Marriage records are kept by the county. See also How to order Mississippi Vital Records or order electronically online.
See Mississippi Vital Records for more information on getting Mississippi records.
- 1800-1911 Mississippi, Marriages, 1800-1911 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1776-1935 Mississippi Marriages, 1776-1935 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1900 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-1900 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1826-1850 Mississippi Marriages, 1826-50 at Ancestry.com — index $
- to 1825 Mississippi Marriages to 1825 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1799-1819 - Adams County Marriage Book 1 Index 1799-1819. Batch M516691 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1819-1826 - Adams County Marriage Books 2 thru 4 Index 1819-1826. Batch M516692 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1826-1835 - Adams County Marriage Book 5 Index 1826-1835. Batch M516693 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1835-1851 - Adams County Marriage Book 6 Index 1835-1851. Batch M516694 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1851-1860 - Adams County Marriage Books 7A and 7B Index 1851-1860. Batch M516695 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1860-1873 - Adams County Marriage Books 8 and 9 Index 1860-1873. Batch M516696 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1873-1892 - Adams County Marriage Books 10 thru 12 Index 1875-1885. Batch M516704 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1892-1895 - Adams County Marriage Books 13 and 14 Index 1892-1895. Batch M516705 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1866-1870 - Adams County Marriage Books 18 and 19 Index 1866-1870. Batch M516698 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1870-1874 - Adams County Marriage Books 20 and 21 Index 1870-1874. Batch M516699 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1874-1880 - Adams County Marriage Books 22 and 23 Index 1874-1880. Batch M516701 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1880-1885 - Adams County Marriage Books 24 and 25 Index 1880-1885. Batch M516702 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1885 - Adams County Marriage Books 26 and 27 Index 1885. Batch M516703 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1886-1890 - Adams County Marriage Books 26 and 27 Index 1886-1890. Batch M516706 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1890-1893 - Adams County Marriage Books 28 and 29 Index 1890-1893. Batch M516707 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1892-1895 - Adams County Marriage Books 30 and 31 Index 1892-1895. Batch M516708 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1835-1905 - Adams County Death Index 1835-1905. Batch B735128 at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1857-1909 - Natchez Death Index 1857-1909. Batch B735084 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
South Mississippi Genealogical & Historical Society,
P.O. Box 15271,
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
Southwest Mississippi Genealogy Society,
P.O. Box 175,
McComb, Mississippi, 39649
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Adams County, MS History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Mississippi Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- Adams County, USGenWeb Project
- Adams County, USGenWeb Archives
- Adams Co, MS Genealogical and Historical Research
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Adams County, Mississippi page 378, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/c/ce/Igimississippia.pdf.