When a branch of the Oregon Short Line Railroad was built into this part of the county, there was a post office called Riverview on east side of Snake River, and railroad officials did not desire to have a station of the same name on the west side. Reuben McCreary, who platted the townsite of Riverview on the west side, suggested that if that name was unsatisfactory, the name Adrian be used, which was adopted by the railroad on Feb. 13, 1913. This was to commemorate his birthplace, Adrian, Hancock County, Illinois. Riverview post office with its descriptive name was established on the east side of the river Aug. 22, 1911, with John E. Holley postmaster. About 1915 the office was moved west across the river to the vicinity of Adrian station, and the name of the office was changed to Adrian on Nov. 10, 1919. Earlier editions of Oregon Geographic Names ascribe the name to James Adrian, a local sheepman, but Adrian did not arrive in the area until 1916.
Adrian is an incorporated city.
Church History and Records
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Adrian Branch (Oregon)
Annual genealogical report, Form E, 1944-1946 FamilySearch Catalog