Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|Access the Records|
Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916 .
|This article describes a collection of records at FamilySearch.org.|
|Jefferson, Alabama, United States|
|Flag of Alabama|
|Location of Jefferson County, Alabama|
|Location of Alabama|
|Record Type||Circuit Court Papers|
What is in the Collection?
This Collection will include records from 1870 to 1916.
These records from the Jefferson County Circuit Court are loose papers pertaining to disputed estates and property. They also include some divorce records.
|You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
Information found in this collection may include:
- Names of interested parties
- Date of court proceeding or transaction
- Details of the case
- Place of residence
- Names of witnesses
How Do I Search the Collection?
To begin your search it is helpful to know:
- Identifying information such as place of residence
View images in this collection by visiting the Browse Page: To search the collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "County" category
⇒Select the "Record Type and Volume" category which takes you to the images.
Many of these volumes have indexes at the beginning or end. You should search these first. If your ancestor is in the index download a copy or write down the page numbers listed for your ancestor. You can then quickly turn to those pages.
If you do not find your ancestor in the index, look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine if the image relates to them. You may need to look at several images and compare the information about the individuals listed in those images to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
What do I do Next?
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. For example use the date and locality to search for census and church records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname as the deceased; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have been in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
What if I can't Find Who I'm Looking For?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume. Local historical and genealogical groups also compile indexes to local records.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Alabama, Jefferson items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Alabama Archives and Libraries.|
Citing this Collection
Citing your sources makes it easy for others to find and evaluate the records you used. When you copy information from a record, list where you found that information. Here you can find citations already created for the entire collection and for each individual record or image.
- "Alabama, Jefferson County Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2016. Jefferson County Circuit Court, Birmingham.
|The image citation is available by clicking on the Information tab at the bottom left of the screen. You can browse through images in this collection by visiting the browse page for Alabama, Jefferson County, Circuit Court Papers, 1870-1916.|
How You Can Contribute
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.