Alaska Naturalization and Citizenship
|Alaska Wiki Topics|
|Local Research Resources|
- Alaska State Archives Naturalization Index
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Alaska, 1900-1929 - U.S. District Court, Index to Declarations filed in Juneau ($)
- U.S., Naturalization Records - Original Documents, (World Archives Project) for Alaska, 1900-1924 - U.S. District Court ($)
- U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes for Alaska, 1904-1917 - U.S. District Court, Index to Declarations filed in Skagway, (included in U.S. Naturalization Records Indexes, 1794-1995). ($)
Residents of Alaska became citizens of the United States when Alaska was purchased in 1867 from Russia. see Guide to Alaska Naturalization Records, 1888-1972.
Naturalization records for those arriving later have been filed in the judicial districts. Records for some of the districts, 1884 to 1959, are at the Alaska State Archives.
Old territorial records of Fairbanks, Juneau, and Nome have been transferred to the superior court.
Family History Library
The Family History Library has not acquired naturalization records for Alaska. The library does have two indexes for naturalization records in Alaska.
- Bruce R. Parham, Tom Wiltsey, Diana Kodiak and Alaska District Court, Indexes to naturalization records of the U.S. District Court for the district, territory & state of Alaska (Third division), 1903-1991 (Seattle, Washington : NARA, Pacific Alaska Region, 1997) FHL films 2155623 (first of 22)
- Bruce R. Parham, Tom Wiltsey, Diana Kodiak and Alaska District Court, Indexes to naturalization records of the U.S. District Court for the District Territory and state of Alaska (Third Division) : National Archives microfilm publications pamphlet describing M1788 (Washington D.C. : NARA, 1996) FHL book 973 J53m no. 1788
Post 1906 Records
For naturalization records after September 1906, contact the National Archives—Alaska Region at or the local office of the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
Index represents over 6,000 files created in the courts of Juneau, Petersburg, Skagway, Wrangell, Nome and Cordova. Indexed records include Declarations of Intention, Petitions for Naturalization, Fact Sheets for Declarations and Petitions, Depositions in Support of Petitions, Certificates of Naturalization, lists of applicants for admission to citizenship and Native Alaskans citizenship case files. Index is arranged alphabetically by last, first, AKA (also known as) names and includes country of origin, date of application, applicant's residence and occupation, judicial precinct, record type, case number and archival location. Alaska Naturalization Index 1888-1972.
Alaska Research Outline. Salt Lake City, Utah: Intellectual Reserve, Inc., Family History Department,1998, 2001.