Alford is a station on the Southern Pacific line between Halsey and Harrisburg. It bears the name of Thomas Alford, a pioneer of 1850, upon whose donation land claim it is situated. The station was originally known as Muddy, on account of Muddy Creek, which flows nearby. The name appears in the Oregonian as early as Nov. 7, 1857. A post office was established in this locality in Feb. 1874, with the name Muddy Station. It was in service about a year. Liverpool was the name of a post office that served the area 8n 1877-79. The name of railroad station was changed from Muddy to Alford some time after 1900.
Oregon Geographic Names FamilySearch Catalog