Allen County, Kansas Genealogy
- This article is about a southeast Kansas county. For other uses, see Allen.
Guide to Allen County, Kansas ancestry, family history and genealogy and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Allen County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Allen County Courthouse|
1 N. Washington
Iola, Kansas 66749-2841
- 1 County Information
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Allen County, Kansas Record Dates
Allen County Courthouse
1 N Washington Street
Iola, KS 66749-2841
Clerk of the District Court has marriage records from 1856; divorce, probate and court records 1860; and naturalization records 1871-1929.
Allen County Register of Deeds has land and military records from 1860.
1855--Allen County was created 30 August 1855 as an original county. County seat: Iola 
Because there are 105 counties in the state of Kansas this link is provided so you can research the original counties and those that were created from the original 36 counties.
There is no known history of courthouse disasters in this county.
Cities of Allen County
"towns|AllenCounty|Kansas" Incorporated cities
Name and population (2006 estimate):
- lola, 5,966 (county seat)
- Humboldt, 1,906
- La Harpe, 665
- Gas, 552
- Moran, 535
- Savonburg, 89
- Elsmore, 68
- Mildred, 36
- Bassett, 22
- Cofachique (extinct town)
Iola's two cemeteries came under the direction of the Park Superintendent in April of 1998 after a vote to dissolve the Cemetery Board. The old Iola Cemetery located on the west edge of town was opened in 1863, and Highland Cemetery located on the north end was opened in 1907.
Full time employees manage the grounds and take care of burial work. In the summer several part time workers help with mowing, weeding and general upkeep. In 2000, cemetery employees completed the conversion of all cemetery deeds and burial records to computer. This new system will allow genealogists and others interested in locating information about family or friends to have easy access to records and site locations. For your convenience, burial identification lists are avalable from the links below. The lists are in alphabetical order.
- For those seeking genealogy information associated with the Iola and Highland Cemeteries, it is available at the Iola Public Library.
- Other sources of burial information are listed below:
- Allen County Poor Farm Cemetery Search Form
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Kansas Cemeteries for more information.|
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Kansas Church Records.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Kansas Land and Property for additional information about early Kansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Allen County, Kansas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Kansas Local Histories.
- Wallace, Duncan L. . History of Allen and Woodson counties, Kansas : embellished with portraits of well known people of these counties, with biographies of our representative citizens, cuts of public buildings and a map of each county. Iola, Kan.: Iola Register,1901. Digital version at: Internet Archive
- History of Iola, Kansas
- Maps of Kansas: Interactive and historical maps of Kansas
- Maps of Allen County:
Men from Allen County enlisted in:
The Iola Battalion in 1861
Three companies, commanded by Captains Coleman, Flesher and Killen
Two companies, commanded by Captain N. B. Blanton
Commanded by General J. H. Lane
World War II
- ALLEN County WWII Honor List Of Dead and Missing - 1946 USGenWeb Archives
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Allen County, Kansas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Selected Allen County Obituaries Scroll down on page to Obituaries heading. USGenWeb Archives
In most counties in Kansas, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, inventories, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Kansas, Allen and click Probate records.
Kansas tax records complement land records and can be used to supplement the years between censuses. Tax lists were usually made every year, however, there may be gaps of several years. For more information, see the wiki page Kansas Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Kansas Office of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Kansas Vital Records. For information about restrictions and costs for certificates, see the CDC Where to Write for Vital Records site.
- 1818 - 1936 Kansas, Births and Christenings, 1818-1936 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1911 Kansas, Births and Christenings Index, 1885-1911 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, 1885-1930 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1885 - 1930 Kansas, Deaths and Burials, Index, 1885-1930 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1811 - 1911 Kansas, Marriages, 1811-1911 at FamilySearch — index
- 1840 - 1935 Kansas, Marriages, 1840-1935 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas County Marriages, 1855-1911 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1855 - 1911 Kansas, County Marriages, 1855-1911 at Ancestry.com — images $
Societies and Libraries
Allen County Historical Society
207 North Jefferson
Family History Centers
- Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county.
- Allen County USGenWeb Archives
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Allen County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Alice Eichholz, Ancestry’s Red Book: American State, County and Town Sources, Revised ed. (Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1992), 232-245. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27rb 1992
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).