Alloway and Southern Ayrshire Family History Society
|Alloway & Southern Ayrshire Family History Society|
|Address||c/o Alloway Public Library, Doonholm Road, Alloway, Ayr KA7 4QQ Scotland|
The Alloway and Southern Ayrshire Family History Society focuses on family history research, sponsors member projects, and organizes visits to places of interest to family historians. Their monthly meetings are held on the 3rd Tuesday of each month, September through May. They offer the following services through their website:
- Publications for sale
- Surnames and general topics searchable databases (under the 'Interests' tab)
- On-going projects for member participation
- Newsletter/journal (available to members online or by post)
- Look-up service (see the 'Resources' page on their website)
- Blogs available on the 'members only' page on the website
Benefits of Membership in Local Family History Societies
The following advantages and benefits of joining a local family history society will help you extend your pedigree and grow your knowledge and research skills in each England county:
- One of the best ways to discover other (distant) relatives, with whom to collaborate on family lines.
- Learn about events and local history which directly affected your ancestors.
- Know how/what effective search strategies and other critical approaches to employ in your research.
- Obtain numerous ideas for helping you overcome brickwalls in constructing your genealogy.
- Learn about, use, help create critical products being compiled by each society, such as transcribing or indexing churchyard, marriage, baptism, census, military, occupation, and etc records of the area or county, perhaps even helping to build data content for your parish[es] of interest (i.e.index) if desired.
- Purchase books, CDs, microfiche, or the services of knowledgeable and experienced local residents to perform "lookup" services for all those researching ancestry from remote areas around the world.
- Share/publish your ancestral surnames of interests for others to view and respond with help and assistance in various ways.