Allt-mawr, Breconshire Genealogy
ALLTMAWR (ALLT-FAWR), a parish, in the union and hundred of Builth, county of Brecon, South Wales, 4 miles distant (S. E. by S.) from Builth. This parish, the name of which signifies "the great woody mount," is crossed by the turnpike-road from Builth to Hay, and comprises about 500 acres, one fourth of which is wood, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. The scenery on the banks of the river Wye, which forms the northern boundary, and in its immediate vicinity, is exceedingly romantic; and the view from Alltmawr House, a pretty villa in the parish, is one of the most delightful in this part of the principality. The church, dedicated to St. Mauritius, consists of a nave and chancel, both lately ceiled, and is remarkable for its diminutive size, being less than thirty-five feet in length; it stands just above the road side, and differs in its appearance from a neat cottage in no other respect than in having a small belfry near the west end of the roof.
Alltmawr Church is in the Diocese of Swansea and Brecon, in the community of Erwood in the county of Powys. It is located at Ordnance Survey national grid reference SO0733846879. For additional information see Brecknockshire Churches Survey.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464299.
Maps and Gazetteers
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1849), pp. 12-25. Adapted. Date accessed: 22 January 2014.