Alpena Michigan Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Center Contacts and Hours
- 411 Long Rapids Plaza Alpena Michigan 49707 United States
- (Next to Alpena Orthopedics)
In an effort to determine schedules that work best for our patrons, we have been considering Wed 1-8 and Sat 10-2 once a month. If interested in these alternative times, please call or e-mail to let us know.
Closed Holidays as well as the preceeding day and day following the event. Closed between Christmas and New Year. The weather closings follow Alpena Public Schools. We occasionally close unexpectedly because of inclement weather or illness. Please call for information about unexpected alterations to our normal operation hours.
Family History scrapbooking; please call for availability
Quarterly seminars held in 2016; 1pm 4th Wed of each month unless otherwise noted. Upcoming:
June 15th Alternate Death Sources taught by Chris Raines
December - last two weeks closed for holidays
Please check back as updates are made.
- A Professional genelogist is available monthly. Call for an appointment.
- Ella has been an accredited genealogist since 1985 with specialties in Midwestern US, British Isles research, but can assist in general research as well.
- RoseMarie specializes in Polish/German research, but can assist you in other foreign research quest.
- Bob has experience in New England, English, FrenchCandian research.
- Kamila specializes in eastern Europe, especially Polish, Russian, Latin & German records.
FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to assist patrons in on-line microfilm orders of any films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
- Over 500 microfilms of Birth-Marriage-Death records from county court houses in Michigan
- Microfilm collection of Polish and German records in the present area of Poznan.
- English films for Cornwall and Lincolnshire.
- Currently collecting the French-Canadian marriage index( Loiselle), many films available.
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions, including Ancestry,com, World Vital Records, MyHeritage library edition, Fold3 library edition, Alexander Street Press, FindMyPast institution version, Puzilla.org, and others.
Hardware and Equipment
- 4 on-line computers
- 3 microfilm readers
- microfilm reader/printer
- wireless Internet
- printer capabilities to scan black & white documents and photos directly to FamilySearch
Resources in the Local Area
The George Fletcher Library (AKA The Alpena Public Library) has marvelous local history and genealogical collections. Further afield, the following also have information available, including:
- The Cheboygan Public Library has many of the resources previously found at the Cheboygan Family History Center, which closed in January 2012.
- The Mackinac City Public Library has the best wonderful Native American collection in northern MI.
- The Presque Isle Public Library (Rogers City) has a number of genealogical collections from local families. The Onaway location has local collections.
- Rogers City has museums for both local history and mariner information.
Volunteer at the Center
If you have been involved is family history research and are interested in helping others -please call the center during hours of operation. We would love to orientate you to our Center.