Alton Pancras, Dorset Genealogy
Guide to Alton, Pancras family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Alton Pancras, Dorset|
|Type||LibertyCivil parishEcclesiastical parish|
|Poor Law Union||Cerne|
|Probate Court||Court of the Peculiar of the Dean of Salisbury|
ALTON-PANCRAS (St. Pancratius), a parish and liberty, in the union of Cerne, Cerne division of Dorset, 8¼ miles (N.) from Dorchester.
ALTON-PANCRAS, a parish and a liberty in Dorchester district, Dorset. The parish lies on the Downs, 2½ miles NE of Cerne-Abbas, and 7 E by S of Evershot r. station. Post Town, Cerne under Dorchester. Acres, 2,243. Real property, £2,642. Pop., 270.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Alton Pancras, Dorset Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|TGEN = TheGenealogist - (£)|
|Alton Pancras, Dorset Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241338.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Dorset Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, (1848), pp. 44-49. Date accessed: 03 July 2013.
- John M. Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, publ. London and Edinburgh: 1870. Date accessed 03 July 2103.
- Dorset, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Marriages and Banns, 1813-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-2001, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Partially indexed.
- Dorset Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Dorset,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 23 April 2012.
- 'Dorset Baptism Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- "Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county," Origins.net, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Dorset Burial Index,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Search Marriage Records in Dorset,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Dorset Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 21 May 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- 'Dorset Parish Record Transcripts,' The Genealogist, accessed 21 May 2012.
- 'Dorset Marriages,' Find My Past, accessed 21 May 2012.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- 'Dorset Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 10 January 2014.
- 'Parish Records,' TheGenealogist, accessed 26 April 2014.