Alveley, Shropshire Genealogy
Guide to Alveley, Shropshire ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Bridgnorth|
|Parish registers: 1561|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1636|
|Probate Court||Court of the Royal Peculiar of Bridgnorth|
|Location of Archive|
|Shropshire Record Office|
ALVELEY (St. Mary), a parish, partly within the liberty of the borough of Bridgnorth, but chiefly in the hundred of Stottesden, union of Bridgnorth, S. division of Shropshire, 6½ miles (S. S. E.) from Bridgnorth; containing, with Nordley-Regis township, and Romsley liberty in the borough of Bridgnorth. Alveley was one of the five prebends in the royal free chapel of the castle of Bridgnorth.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Alveley parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|BOYD = Boyd's Marriage Index (findmypast) - (£)|
|FMP = Shropshire Records (findmypast) - (£)|
|HIST = Alveley Historical Society - free|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|ALVELEY PARISH (1561) Online Records|
Alveley Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts held at the Family History Library
Bishop's transcripts held at Lichfield Record Office Bap1813-1837 Marr 1813-1837 Bur 1813-1837
Transcripts of Alveley St. Mary's Parish Registers are available online at Alveley Historical Society
Parish Chest records held at the Family History Library:
- Poor Law papers 1535-1702
- Apprenticeships, Settlement certificates, Bastardy papers, etc. 1621-1828
- Overseers' accounts 1763-1767; 1818-1836
- Vestry minutes 1834-1861
- Survey and terrier 1809-1827
- Valuation & survey 1838
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474589.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Shropshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 49-53. Date accessed: 30 April 2012.
- 'Shropshire Baptisms 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Marriages 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Banns 1760-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Burials 1538-1900,' findmypast, accessed 28 April 2014.
- 'Shropshire Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 9 September 2013.