Anadarko Indian Agency (Oklahoma)
Indian Tribes Associated With This Agency
The Anadarko Indians were also under the responsibilities of the the following agencies and Superintendencies
Eugene E. White, (Experiences of a Special Indian Agent. by E.E. White University of Oklahoma Press. Norman,OK. C. 1965. FHL book 973 B4w v.29)
There are twenty-three tribes of Indians under the jurisdiction of the Anadarko Area Office. Kiowa, Comanche, Apache, Caddo. Delaware, Wichita. Fort Sill Apache, Shawnee, Citizen Band of Potawatomi, Sac and Fox of Oklahoma, Kickapoo of Oklahoma, Iowas of Oklahoma, Pawnee, Ponca, Kaw, Tonkawa, Otoe and Missouria, Prairie Band of Potawatomi (Kansas), Cheyenne, Arapaho, Kickapoo of Kansas, Sac and Fox of Missouri, Iowa of Kansas.
Agencies and subagencies were created as administrative offices of the Bureau of Indian Affairs and its predecessors. Their purpose was (and is) to manage Indian affairs with the tribes, to enforce policies, and to assist in maintaining the peace. The names and location of these agencies may have changed, but their purpose remained basically the same. Many of the records of genealogical value (for the tribe and tribal members) were created by and maintained by these offices.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981, p. 148.
- Guide to Archival Holdings of the National Archives Southwest Region in Fort Worth, Record Group 75, Anadarko Area Office.
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Hill, Edward E. The Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880: Historical Sketches. New York, New York: Clearwater Publishing Company, Inc., 1974.
- Historical Sketches for Jurisdictional and Subject Headings Used for the Letters Received by the Office of Indian Affairs, 1824-1880. National Archives Microcopy T1105.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- "Accompanying Pamphlet for Microcopy 1011", National Archives Microfilm Publications, Appendix.