Anchor Mining Camp, Colfax County, New Mexico Genealogy
Location: 4.5 miles northeast of Red River; .5 mile east of Midnight; now in Taos County.
GPS: Latitude: 36.7628 N; Longitude: -105.3394 W.
Elevation: 10,315 feet (3,144 meters)
Map: Interactive Map.
Photos: Deserted log cabins of the Edison Mill near Anchor. pp153 in Ghost Towns
and Mining Camps of New Mexico by James and Barbara Sherman.
Post Office: Established 1895 in nearby Midnight, discontinued 1898.
Census Data: No enumeration on 1900 US Census. See enumeration for Midnight.
High in the Cimarron Range, rests a handful of ruins at the edge of pine forest clearing .5 miles east of Midnight. The settlement's life was brief, and associated with that of Midnight. It is doubtful that Anchor supported any businesses with its miniscule population.
It was a short lived gold mining camp. This small nearby burg of Midnight was settled about 1895, when a post office was established. The gold mining claims that were worked in the vicinity were known as: Midnight, Memphis, Caribel, Edison, and Anchor.
Small investments and much hard labor yielded enough gold to sustain life in the camp of Midnight for about 3 years. In 1897, the population of about 200 used the services of the Ellis & Co. General Merchandise Store. Hays & Co Blacksmith, and a justice of the peace. Mail and passengers came 3 times a week from Catskill, 58 miles to the East. School was held for 3 months a year. The native gold and silver ore from the 4 producing mines was sent to Denver for treatment.
The lack of free milling ores and land litigation problems were the reasons for the abandonement of the town. It is said that the decision to close the Midnight Mine was made so suddenly that 32 log buildings that were being built were left unfinished.
Family History Links:
1. Ghost Towns and Mining Camps of New Mexico, by James E. and Barbara Sherman. University of Oklahoma Press, Norman. 1974.