Anderson County, Tennessee Genealogy
Guide to Anderson County, Tennessee ancestry, family history and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Anderson County, Tennessee|
Location in the state of Tennessee
Location of Tennessee in the U.S.
|Founded:||November 6, 1801|
- 1 Anderson County Tennessee Quick Dates
- 2 Anderson County Tennessee Courthouse
- 3 Anderson County Tennessee History
- 4 Anderson County Tennessee Places / Localities
- 5 Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy Resources
- 5.1 Getting Started
- 5.2 Research Guides
- 5.3 African American
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church
- 5.7 Court
- 5.8 Genealogy
- 5.9 Immigration
- 5.10 Land
- 5.11 Law and Legislation
- 5.12 Local Histories
- 5.13 Maps
- 5.14 Military
- 5.15 Naturalizations
- 5.16 Newspapers
- 5.17 Occupations
- 5.18 Periodicals
- 5.19 Petitions
- 5.20 Prisons
- 5.21 Probate Records
- 5.22 Taxation
- 5.23 Vital Records
- 6 Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 7 Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy Websites
- 8 Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy References
Anderson County Tennessee Quick Dates
Anderson County's civil records start the following years:
Anderson County Tennessee CourthouseAnderson County Register of Deeds
100 North Main St. Room 205
Clinton, TN 37716
Anderson County Clerk of Circuit Court
100 N. Main St.
Clinton, TN 37716
Mon.-Fri. 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Anderson County Tennessee History
Anderson County Chamber of Commerce, (accessed 30 Jan 2012). Anderson County: Proud History, Bright Future
For animated maps illustrating Tennessee county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Tennessee County Boundary Maps" (1777-1985) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
- Lost censuses: 1810, 1820
- Lack of marriage records: 1801 to 1837
Anderson County Tennessee Places / Localities
For a list of locations in this county and information about each location online, through some helpful websites, please click on Populated Places Table for Anderson County
Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy Resources
Use the free Search for Surnames at Mountain Press's website to quickly search a variety of published Anderson County biography, court, land, military, and tax list records. To determine which books are being searched, or to search each publication's index individually, click here. You are now equipped with a checklist of books to pull off the shelves at a genealogy library, or a wish list for your personal book collection.
- "Fact Sheets" About Tennessee Counties: Anderson County at TSLA (Identifies published county histories, published local records, census records, newspapers and local records on microfilm, and select manuscripts.)
African American marriages in Anderson County for the years 1866 to 1879 are abstracted in the following book:
- Gammell, Paula. Anderson County, Tennessee, Marriages, January, 1859 - August, 1882. Knoxville, Tenn.: P. Gammell, 1984. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 V2g. [Covers Marriage Books 3, 4, and "Colored" (1866-1879). Abstracts include names of grooms, brides, and officiators, as well as license and marriage dates.]
|Tombstone Transcriptions Online||Tombstone Transcriptions in Print||List of Cemeteries in the county|
|Findagrave.com||Family History Library||Findagrave.com|
|See Tennessee Cemeteries for more information.|
Tennessee cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- McGinnis, Robert A. Gone to Rest: The Cemeteries of Anderson County, Tennessee. n.p.: R.A. McGinnis, 2008. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 V3m v. 1
|Source: "American FactFinder" United States Census Bureau.|
See Tennessee Population Schedule Indexes: Fiche, Film, or Book for more information about statewide printed indexes.
Census and Census Substitutes Index
- 1810 - 1891 Tennessee, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1810-1891 at Ancestry.com — index $
Tennessee, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index 1810-1891; Ancestry ($)
1800 - Lost, but a substitute is available, see Taxation.
1810 - Lost, but a substitute is available:
- Sherrill, Charles A. The Reconstructed 1810 Census of Tennessee: 33,000 Long-lost Records from Tax Lists, Court Minutes, Church Records, Wills, Deeds and Other Sources. Mt. Juliet, Tenn.: C.A. Sherrill, 2001. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 X2s 1810.
- National Archives. Indexes to Manufactures Census of 1820. 1920; reprint, Knightstown, Ind.: Bookmark, 1977. FHL US/CAN Book 973 X2m 1820.
- 1820 Census of Manufactures: Anderson County, East Tennessee Roots, Vol. 5, No. 3 ():112. For availability, see Periodicals.
- Sistler, Byron H. 1830 Census, East Tennessee. Evanston, Ill.: n.p., 1969. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 X2p 1830.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. 1841; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. FHL US/CAN Book 973 X2pc 1840; FHL US/CAN Film 2321. 1841 edition digitized by the U.S. Census Bureau and Google books et. al. [See Tennessee, Eastern District, Anderson County on page 152.]
- Chambers, Richard L. "1850 Federal Census - Anderson County," [5 parts] available online at USGenWeb Archives.
- Harris, Mary S. United States Census, Anderson County, 1860. [Tenn.]: M.S. Harris, 1989. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 X2h 1860.
- Hutton, Edith Wilson. Transcription, Federal Census Schedule, Anderson County, Tennessee, 1870, Indexed. Knoxville, Tenn.: E.W. Hutton, 1984. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 X2h 1870.
- Sistler, Byron and Barbara Sistler. 1880 Census - Tennessee: Transcription for Anderson County. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 198-?. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 X2s 1880.
Lost, but substitutes are available:
- Reed, Sue S. Enumeration of Male Inhabitants of Twenty-one Years of Age and Upward, Citizens of Tennessee, January 1, 1891, as Provided for by an Act of General Assembly of Tennessee, Passed January 15, 1891, and Approved January 22, 1891. 8 vols. Houston, Texas: S.S. Reed, 1989. FHL 976.8 X2r v. 1 1891. [Anderson County is included in Vol. 1.]
- Sistler, Byron H. and Barbara Sistler. 1890 Civil War Veterans Census, Tennessee. Evanston, Ill.: Byron Sister and Associates, 1978. FHL 976.8 X2s 1890.https://drive.google.com/#shared-with-me
- Phillips, Betty J.S. 1910 Anderson County Tn. Census. Clinton, Tenn.: B.J.S. Phillips, 1999. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 X2p 1910.
- Kelley, Wanda. Population Schedule of the United States Census of 1920 for Anderson County, Tennessee. [Harriman, Tenn.]: W. Kelley, [199-?]. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 X2k.
- Collins, Betty VanOver. 1930 Anderson Co., Tn. Federal Census. Knoxville, Tenn.: B.J.V. Collins, [2004?]. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 X2c 1930.
Church records include baptisms, marriages and burials, as well as information about family members and clues about family migration. For additional information about church records, religions, and religious archives in Tennessee, see Tennessee Church Records.
- Anderson County Church Records (also check by town)
- - FamilySearch Catalog - Anderson County Church Records
- Church histories tell when a church started in the area, who the early members were, give data about church leaders, etc.
- - FamilySearch Catalog - Anderson County Church History
- If the records you need are not available through the Family History Library, contact the church(es) in the area where your ancestor lived. Two sites that give information about churches in Anderson County are:
The churches with the largest membership in Anderson County are the Southern Baptist Convention and the United Methodist Church. For more information about religions in the county, see the charts showing membership by faith created by the Association of Religion Data Archives.
Court records began in 1801.
More than 31 genealogies have been published about Anderson County, Tennessee families. For more information visit Anderson County, Tennessee Compiled Genealogies.
During the War of 1812, American officials report living in Anderson County.
Land records began in 1802. The original Anderson County Deed Books are held at the County Courthouse. TSLA microfilmed Deed Books A to LZ (1802-1893) and Trust Deed Books 1 to 2 (1882-1892) in the 1970s. FHL copies: FHL US/CAN Films 979338-979355.
The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Anderson County land records. They offer a research service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Here are the indexes:
Law and Legislation
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Acts of Tennessee 1796-1850: Index to Names. January 25, 2005. In addition to creating new laws, legislative acts were often required to obtain a divorce, grant legitimacy to a child, or for appointments to or grant payments for public service. The TSLA has created an index to names that appear in these acts covering the years 1796 to 1850. To read more about this valuable resource Click here. The searchable index is available at the TSLA; another version is available at World Vital Records.
The following Anderson County Revolutionary War records are available online through TNGenWeb:
The 1840 Census of Pensioners has been abstracted multiple times:
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. 1841; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. FHL US/CAN Book 973 X2pc 1840; FHL US/CAN Film 2321. 1841 edition digitized by the U.S. Census Bureau and Google books et. al. See Tennessee, Eastern District, Anderson County on page 152.
- Revolutionary and Military Pensioners, 1840, Ansearchin' News, Vol. 34, No. 2 (Summer 1987). Available online, for access, see Periodicals.
Additional resources include:
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." Digital version at Ancestry ($). Tennessee entries abstracted online at Tennesseans in the Revolutionary War at TNGenWeb. Includes veterans from this county; Tennessee section begins on page 381.
- Revolutionary War Veterans Who Lived in the County, List, Pellissippian, Vol. 25, No. 3 (Jul. 2004); Vol. 25, No. 4 (Oct. 2004); Vol. 26, No. 1 (Jan. 2005); Vol. 26, No. 2 (Apr. 2005); Vol. 26, No. 3 (Jul. 2005); Vol. 27, No. 1 (Jan. 2006). For access, see Periodicals.
War of 1812
- Embry, Hermione D. "War of 1812 - Tennessee Pensioners on List - January 2, 1883," Ansearchin' News, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Jan. 1960):13-16. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 B2a v. 7 (1960); digital version at journal website. Includes Anderson County pensioners (p. 13).
- War of 1812 Survivors and Widows Pensioners, Pellissippian, Vol. 11, No. 2 (Apr. 1990). For access, see Periodicals.
- 1861 - 1865 - Tennessee, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - Tennessee, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865 at FamilySearch — index
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Confederate Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1861 - 1865 - U.S., Union Soldiers Compiled Service Records, 1861-1865 at Ancestry — index (free)
- 1891 - 1965 - Tennessee, Confederate Pension Applications, Soldiers and Widows, 1891-1965 at FamilySearch — images
- Civl War Research Database $
- Civil War Soldiers and Sailors System
Civil War service men from Anderson County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Anderson County.
- 1st Battalion, Tennessee Light Artillery, Battery D
- 1st Regiment, Tennessee Infantry - Companies H and K.
- 7th Regiment, Tennessee Mounted Infantry - Companies F, G and I.
- 8th Regiment, Tennessee Infantry - Company E.
Additional sources for Civil War soldiers from Anderson County:
- Tennessee State Library and Archives, Tennessee Confederate Pension Applications: Anderson County. Soldier's Name, County, Pension #, Unit or Widow listed.
- USGenWeb Archives, Anderson County, Tennessee Archives. Civil War Records, Civil War Pensions.
- United States Pension Bureau, List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883: Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for ... (Washington Printing Office; 1883). Online book at Internet Archive. Anderson County, page 315.
- Hutton, Edith Wilson. Anderson County, Tennessee: Divorces and Naturalizations, 1844 through 1920. Knoxville, Tenn.: E.W. Hutton, 1992. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 V2hewi.
Many Tennessee newspapers are filmed and available at TSLA. Most of these newspapers may be accessed by interlibrary loan to libraries within Tennessee, although there are some newspapers which are not available in or outside of Tennessee. For further information regarding interlibrary loan policies and newspapers not available for interlibrary loan click here. For a list of newspapers available at TSLA for Anderson County click on the following cities:
- Miller, Alan N. East Tennessee's Forgotten Children: Apprentices from 1778 to 1911. Baltimore, Md.: Printed for Clearfield Company, Inc., by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2000. FHL US/CAN 976.8 U2m. Digital version at World Vital Records ($). Purchase at Genealogical.com. [Includes Anderson County.]
Tap into the minds of local experts. Editors of genealogical periodicals publish unique sources that researchers who are new to their area would not likely discover. This type of material may be found in local, regional, or statewide genealogical society journals. The following periodicals cover this county:
- Ansearchin' News
- Genealogical articles with abstracts of Anderson County, Tennessee Genealogy records have been published in Ansearchin' News, the quarterly magazine of the Tennessee Genealogical Society. To view a list of these articles, visit their county index. To read digitized versions of the first 36 years of articles (Vols. 1-36), browse their archive or conduct a surname search. The Family History Library has a complete collection of the Ansearchin' News quarterly FHL Book 976.8 B2a.
- East Tennessee Roots
- Several genealogical articles with abstracts of Anderson County, Tennessee Genealogy records have been published in East Tennessee Roots (10 vols.). A subject index to these articles is available online. Surname indexes to Volumes 9 and 10 are also available online. The Family History Library has collected most issues of East Tennessee Roots FHL Book 976.8 D25e.
- The Pellissippian
- Several genealogical articles with abstracts of Anderson County, Tennessee Genealogy records were published in the The Pellissippian (25 vols., 1980-2004), the quarterly of the Pellissippi Genealogical and Historical Society. The society has posted tables of contents for all 25 volumes on their website. They also have back issues available for purchase. The Family History Library has acquired the first 20 volumes FHL Book 976.8 D25p.
- Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin
- Genealogical articles with abstracts of Anderson County, Tennessee Genealogy records have been published in the Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin (39+ vols., 1972-present), the journal of the Watauga Association of Genealogists. The organization has posted tables of contents for most volumes on their website. Back issues are available for purchase. The Family History Library has a complete collection FHL US/CAN Books 976.897 B2w, including Margaret W. Hougland and Betty Jane Hylton's Bulletin Subject Index: The First Thirty Years, 1972-2001 (Johnson City, Tenn.: Watauga Association of Genealogists, 2002) FHL Book 976.897 B2w index 1972-2001.
- Curtis, Mary Barnett. Petitions of Anderson County, Tennessee. Fort Worth, Texas: American Reference Publishing Company, 197-?. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A1 no. 35.
Learn if your Anderson County, Tennessee Genealogy ancestors went to prison!
- Inmates of the Tennessee State Penitentiary 1831-1850.
- Inmates of the Tennessee State Penitentiary 1851-1870.
FamilySearch has placed scans of the following records online in the Tennessee, Probate Court Books, 1795-1927 collection. These are browse-only collections. Handwritten indexes may be found at the front or back of some volumes:
Anderson County probate records dated before 1827 have been lost.
- Bonds, Letters, 1872-1923
- Deed of conveyance, 1856-1871
- Inventories, 1842-1875
- Settlements, 1859-1911
- Settlements, Wills, 1830-1842
- Wills, 1830-1912
- 1779 - 2008 - Tennessee Wills and Probate Records 1779-2008 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1830 - 1912 - Anderson County Tennessee list of will book testators SAMPUBCO - Browsable index of testators of wills. - free
The following Anderson County probate records have been abstracted and/or indexed:
- 1830 - 1913 - Pellisippi Genealogical and Historical Society. Anderson County Wills - Volume 1. Clinton, TN: PGHS, 2010. Surname index on-line.
- 1830 - 1861 - Sistler, Byron and Barbara Sistler. Index to Tennessee Wills Administrations 1779-1861. Nashville, Tenn. Byron Sistler Associates, Inc., 1990. FHL US/CAN 976.8 P22s. Includes an index to this county's probate records. Free Lookups Available!
The original Anderson County Tax Books 1838-1842, 1855-1865 and the Railroad Tax Book 1859-1865 are held at the County Courthouse. In the 1970s, TSLA microfilmed these records Rolls 48, A-4195. FHL copy: FHL US/CAN Film 979356 Items 1-3.
The following Anderson County tax records have been indexed:
- 1801 - Creekmore, Pollyanna. Early East Tennessee Taxpayers. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1980. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 R4cp and Silas Emmett Lucas's Revised Index FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 R4cp index. Includes 1801 tax list.
- 1802 - 1802 Tax List of Anderson Co., Tn. 198-?. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A1 no. 92.
- 1802 - Petracek, Ruth. "Early Records of Anderson Co., Tennessee: 1802 Tax Record," The Mountain Empire Genealogical Quarterly, Vol. 2, No. 3 (Fall 1983):158-160. FHL US/CAN Book 975 D25m v. 2 (1983).
- 1802, 1805 - Curtis, Mary Barnett. Early East Tennessee Tax Lists. Fort Worth, Texas: Arrow Printing Company, 1964. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 R4c. Includes 1802 and 1805 tax lists.
- 1805 - Sistler, Byron and Barbara Sistler. Index to Early Tennessee Tax Lists. Evanston, Ill.: B. & B. Sistler, 1977. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 R4s. Includes 1805 tax list.
- 1806 - Tax List, 1806, Watauga Association of Genealogists Bulletin. Johnson City TN: 1976. Vol. 5 Iss. 1-2.
- 1814- "Direct Federal Tax-Delinquent Property Owners Listed for 1814," Ansearchin' News, Vol. 43, No. 3(Fall 1996):115-120. For possible FHL and online access, as well as indexes, see Periodicals. Includes Anderson County.
- 1836 - Douthat, James L. Anderson County, 1836, Tennessee Civil Districts and Tax Lists. Signal Mountain, Tenn.: Mountain Press, 1993. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 R4d; online: free surname index and purchase details.
- 1837 - Tax List Excerpt, 1837, Scott County Historical Society Newsletter. Huntsville TN: Summer 1993. Vol. 10 Iss. 4.
- 1893 - Notice to Delinquent Taxpayers, 1893, Pellissippian. Clinton TN: Jan 2007. Vol. 28 Iss. 1.
Birth records begin in 1869
Marriages were not officially recorded in Anderson County until 1838, when a law was passed mandating the practice. The following publication, based on early newspapers, can help researchers find earlier records:
- Lucas, Silas Emmett. Marriages from Early Tennessee Newspapers 1794-1851. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1978. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 V2L.The original Anderson County marriage books are kept at the County Courthouse. Many of them have been microfilmed:
- Marriage Records (1838-1957) and Indexes (1838-1987). Microfilmed in 1970s and 1980s by TSLA; FHL copies: FHL US/CAN Films 1928596 ff. Includes "colored" register (1866-1879).
The marriage books found in the Anderson County Courthouse have been abstracted several times. Each editor was selective in the amount of detail he or she published. Back when the W.P.A. made detailed abstracts and indexes in the 1930s, they found "These marriage licenses are not bound, but are stored in card boxes in basement record room at Courthouse." As a modern guide to lead you back to the original sources, Whitley surpasses the other editors as she cites pages numbers from the original records, after they were bound into volumes. The following is a list of these publications:
- 1780 - 2002 - Tennessee State Marriages 1780-2002 at Ancestry.com — index $
- 1790 - 1950 - Tennessee County Marriages 1790-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index and images
- 1796 - 1950 - Tennessee Marriages 1796-1950 at FamilySearch.org — index
- 1838 - 1888 - Tennessee Civil Marriages, 1838-1888 at FamilySearch — index and images
- 1838 - 1858 - Historical Records Survey (W.P.A.). Marriage Book No. 1, 1838-1858. Typescript, 1939. FHL Film 850668 Item 4; another filming: FHL Film 24586 Item 3. Detailed abstracts; index.
- 1838 - 1870 - Lucas, Silas Emmett and Ella Lee Sheffield. 35,000 Tennessee Marriage Records and Bonds 1783-1870. 3 vols. Easley, S.C.: Southern Historical Press, 1981. FHL Book 976.8 V2t v. 1 ff.
Abstracts include names of brides, grooms, bondsmen, marriage bond dates, and officiators for weddings in this county for the roughly specified years. Marriage data taken from an index card file at the TSLA. Authors do not specify whether or not the card index completely indexes the county's marriages.
- 1838 - 1916 - Anderson County Marriage Index 1838-1916 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.</ref>
- 1838 - 1858 - Whitley, Edythe Rucker. Marriages of Anderson County, Tennessee 1838-1858. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1983. FHL Book 976.873 V2w. Abstracts names of brides, groom, and officiators, as well as license and marriage dates and page references in the original records.
- 1838 - 1882 - Sistler, Byron and Barbara Sistler. Early East Tennessee Marriages. 2 vols. Nashville, Tenn.: Byron Sistler & Associates, Inc., 1987. FHL Book 976.8 V2s v. 1. Indexes names of brides and grooms, and marriage dates for weddings in this county for the specified years. Free Lookups Available!
- 1851 - 1900 Tennessee Marriages 1851-1900 at Ancestry.com — index and images $
- 1859 - 1882 - Gammell, Paula. Anderson County, Tennessee, Marriages, January, 1859 - August, 1882. Knoxville, Tenn.: P. Gammell, 1984. FHL Book 976.873 V2g. Covers Marriage Books 3, 4, and "Colored" (1866-1879). Abstracts include names of grooms, brides, and officiators, as well as license and marriage dates.
- 1881 - 1900 - Hutton, Edith Wilson. Anderson County, Tennessee, Marriage Records. (1881-1900) 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: E.W. Hutton, 1987. FHL Book 976.873 V2he ff. Abstracts names of brides and grooms, dates of marriage, and occasional ages and birthplaces; includes "colored" marriages from the 1880s.
- 1926 - 1960 - Collins, Betty VanOver. Anderson Co., Tn. Marriages. [1926-1960] 2 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: B.J.V. Collins, 2004?. FHL Book 976.873 V2c ff. Abstracts marriage years and names of brides and grooms; 1950's abstracts include exact dates.
A great place to start searches is:
- Hutton, Edith Wilson. Anderson County, Tennessee: Divorces and Naturalizations, 1844 through 1920. Knoxville, Tenn.: E.W. Hutton, 1992. FHL US/CAN Book 976.873 V2hewi.
In 1940 and 1941, W.P.A. workers pinpointed the location of Anderson County divorce papers in diverse County Courthouse records, see:
- W.P.A. Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey, 1941. FHL US/CAN Book 976.8 A3gp.
Death records begin in 1881
For deaths of Methodists in Anderson County between the 1830s and the 1920s, try:
- Smith, Jonathan K.T. Genealogical Abstracts from Reported Deaths, the Nashville Christian Advocate. (1847-1914) 10 vols. Jackson, Tenn.: J.K.T. Smith, 1997-2003. FHL US/CAN Books 976.855/N1 V48s 1847-1851 ff; digital versions at David Donahue Memorial: Tennessee Records Repository. Website includes additional records covering the 1830's, 1840's, 1910's and 1920's.
Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy Societies and Libraries
| Briceville Public Library
921 Andy's Ridge Road
Briceville, TN 37710
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 12 to 6 p.m.
|Genealogy Resources: Family Histories, Marriage Records, Divorce Records, Naturalizations, Census Records, Cemetery Records, Death Records, Probate Records, etc. The Library also holds Marriage Records for Rutherford, Carter, Washington, and Hawkins counties in Tennessee and Orange County in North Carolina.|
| Clinton Public Library
118 South Hicks St.
Clinton, Tennessee 37716
Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Fri. 10 a.m.-5 p.m, Sat. 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
|Genealogy Resources: Probate Records, Deeds, Court Records, Census Records, Tax Lists, Vital Records, and Local newspapers. A volunteer researcher is available for limited research.|
| East Tennessee Historical Society
601 S. Gay St.
Knoxville, Tennessee 37901
| Lake City Public Library
226 N Main St.
Lake City, TN 37769
Hours: Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri. 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m.-2 p.m.
| Norris Community Library
1 Norris Square
Norris, TN 37828
Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri 10 am - 6 pm Sun 12 - 6 pm
| Oak Ridge Public Library
1401 Oak Ridge Turnpike
Oak Ridge, TN 37830
Hours: Mon.-Thurs. 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Fri. 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Sat. 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Sun. 2 - 6 p.m.
| Pellissippi Genealogical Society
118 Hicks St.
Clinton, TN 37716
Family History Centers
Family history centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See family history center for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- 111 Executive Park Dr
Clinton, Anderson, Tennessee, United States
Telephone: 865-494-8170 Hours: Sunday 9am-10am, 1pm-2pm, Wednesday7-9pm
- 140 S Jefferson Circle Oak Ridge
Anderson, Tennessee, United States
Hours: Wed 9 am-1pm, 6pm-8pm
These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy Websites
- Anderson County, TN Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Anderson County, TN Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- FamilySearch Catalog (FamilySearch) — The catalog is genealogical materials (including books, online materials, microfilm, microfiche, and publications) This catalog is different than the indexed Historical Records.
- Mailing List: TNANDERS-L (Anderson County, Tennessee List) (RootsWeb)
- Mailing List ETN-L (East Tennessee List) (RootsWeb)
- Mailing List ETN-OZ-L (East Tennessee Migrants to Ozarks Region List) (RootsWeb)
- Mailing List UPPEREASTTN-L (Upper East Tennessee List) (RootsWeb)
Anderson County Tennessee Genealogy References
- Guide to Public Vital Statistics in Tennessee. Nashville, Tenn.: The Tennessee Historical Records Survey (W.P.A.), 1941; "Earliest County Records," Tennessee State Library and Archives.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Anderson County, Tennessee page 638, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- "List of counties in Tennessee," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), 638. (FHL Book 973 D27e 2002). WorldCat entry.
- Voice of Lynnae Weller, Kingsport, Tenn. (2010).
- Voice of Gene Black, FamilySearch employee, former resident of Bristol, Tenn. (2010).
- Mary Barnett Curtis, Early East Tennessee Tax Lists (Fort Worth, Texas: Arrow Printing Company, 1964), [FHL 976.8 R4c].
- Kenneth Scott. British Aliens in the United States During the War of 1812. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1979, 372-378 (see East Tennessee). FHL US/CAN 973 W4s; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- The Heritage Quest Online version of PERSI aided in the compilation of this list.
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/a/a8/Igitennesseedeath.pdf.
- Gale Williams Bamman, C.G., "Research in Tennessee," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 2 (June 1993):105. FHL 973 B2ng v. 81