Arvada Colorado Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
We are a locally operated Family Search Center, located in Arvada, Colorado. We serve Arvada and the southern portion of Westminster.
- Our center's services are free and open to the public.
- We have seven computers with internet access, including free access to many subscription-based family history sites such as Ancestry.com, findmypast.com and MyHeritage.com
- We invite all who are interested in family history to visit our center.
- Our center has microfilm and a microfiche readers for patrons' use.
- The films from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City can be ordered on-line for delivery to our center for your use.
- Family History Center volunteers can show you how to use the center’s resources. To make your visit most effective, collect and organize the information you already have. Bring as much information as you have about the ancestor you wish to research, including available birth, marriage and death information. FHC staff can help you use that information to begin filling in your family tree!
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
- 7080 Independence St Arvada CO 80004-1649 United States
- We are located two blocks south and one block east of 72nd and Kipling. (see link to map, above)
- The entrance to the Family History Center is at the rear of the building (southeast corner of the building).
- We will return to normal operating hours as of Tuesday, October 18, 2016 (due to building construction). Our hours after October 18th will be:
- Tuesdays: 10:00am-4:00pm
- The Second Wednesday of the month: 7:00pm-9:00pm
- Thursdays: 10:00am-7:00pm
- Saturdays: 10:00am-2:00pm
- Please call 720-563-9070 to schedule other times, if staff are available.
We are closed for the following holidays and other events:
- Saturday of Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends
- The first Saturday of April and October (Saturdays of LDS General Conference)
- July 4th and the Saturday following or preceding July 4th if it falls on a Friday, Saturday, Sunday or Monday (making a long weekend)
- October 31st, after 4:00 pm
- Thanksgiving Day and the following Saturday
- December 21st through January 2nd
- If weather is bad (snow)
If you have questions whether the Family History Center is open, call 303-421-0920.
Calendar and Events
The following seminars, workshops, and events are scheduled for the Arvada Family History Center. Please be aware that some events are held at the Family History Center at the Arvada Stake Center, and others are held at the LDS Alkire Chapel. The Family History Center is located at 7080 Independence Street, Arvada (see map and directions at the top of this page). The LDS Alkire Chapel is located across the street from the Apex Center on 72nd Avenue between Ward and Alkire Streets.
- Check back for announcements.
Staff Training Meetings
We hold Training Meetings for all Temple and Family History Consultants each Tuesday, 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm at the Arvada Stake Center in the Family History Center. Please contact Debbie Orvin (303-717-8956) for topics and other information. Not a Temple and Family History Consultant? You can still attend!
- FamilySearch Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the FamilySearch Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions such as Ancestry.com.
- Genealogy database software (Ancestral Quest, Family Insight, Family Tree Maker, Legacy, PAF, RootsMagic)
- OpenOffice (on selected machines)
Hardware and Equipment
- 7 PCs with large screens and internet connections
- 1 networked printer
- 3 microfilm readers
- 1 microfiche/film scanner
- 1 flatbed scanner
Staff Research Specialties
Resources in the Local Area
- The Foothills Genealogical Society is an excellent resource in our area. It serves the Clear Creek county, Gilpin county, Jefferson county and Park county Colorado genealogical community. For more information about services offered, go to Foothills Genealogy
Volunteer at the Center
We are always looking for members of the community who can help us staff the Arvada Family History Center for a few hours a week. This help us keep the Center open, and potentially extend hours in the future.