Ashdon, Essex Genealogy
Guide to Ashdon, Essex ancestry, family history, and genealogy. Parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
All Saints Ashdon Essex
|Poor Law Union||Saffron Walden|
|Registration District||Saffron Walden; Linton|
|Parish registers: 1533|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - London; Post-1845 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of London (Essex and Hertfordshire Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Essex Record Office|
Ashdon (All Saints), is a village in Saffron-Walden district, Essex, and a parish chiefly in that district and county, but partly also in Linton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands on an affluent of the river Cam, it is 3½ miles NE of Saffron-Walden, and 5½ miles ENE of Audley-End railway station; it has a post office under Cambridge. The parish includes also the hamlet of Bartlow-End. They have a Baptist chapel.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ashdon, Essex Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ashdon, Essex Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FREG||1653-1661, 1665-1666, 1671, 1696-1710, 1719-1912||
||1654-1658, 1665, 1696-1710, 1719-1909||
||1653-1661, 1665-1666, 1669-1671, 1696-1711, 1719-1980|| |
- Roman Catholic
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241368.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Essex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Essex Ancestors - offers images of genealogical records for the county of Essex
Ashdon on GENUKI
- Wilson,John M., Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870. Adapted: date accessed: 22 May 3013.
- 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net, accessed 12 June 2011.
- Essex Ancestors: Unearth Your Roots, Seax - Essex Archives Online From the Essex Record Office, accessed 3 March 2012.
- 'Essex Parish registers collection 1538 on Familyrelatives.com,' Family Relatives, accessed 12 March 2012. Derived from Phillimore Marriage Indexes.
- Essex Coverage in FreeReg, FreeREG, accessed 19 April 2012.
- 'England, Essex Parish Registers (FamilySearch Historical Records),' FamilySearch, accessed 2 September 2014.
- Batches C035961-C035962, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- Batch M035962, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Essex, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 April 2012.
- 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 15 May 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Essex,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 15 May 2012.
- 'Parish Records - Coverage', The Genealogist, accessed 27 September 2013.