Ashted, Warwickshire Genealogy
Ashted St James was formed as a chapelry in Aston juxta Birmingham, Warwickshire Ancient Parish was consecrated Sept. 7th, 1810; in 1830 it was repaired and in 1836 enlarged.
ASHTED, is a district, in the parish and union of Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick. This place, which adjoins the town of Birmingham on the north-east, now forms a portion of that borough. At the extremity of Great Brooke-street are the Vauxhall gardens, which have been laid out very tastefully, and where concerts and displays of fireworks take place during the summer; in the same street are the barracks erected soon after the Birmingham riots in 1791. Adjoining the barracks is an episcopal chapel dedicated to St. James, formerly the dwelling-house of Dr. Ash, from whom the hamlet takes its name. Here also is a national school.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Bishop's Transcripts deposited at the Lichfield Record Ashsted Bap 1813-1832 Marr 1676-1835 Bur 1676-1843 Missing all events 1829; Baptisms and burials 1844-1864 Missing all events 1829; Baptisms and burials 1844-1864
- 1535 - 1984 - England, Warwickshire, Parish Registers, 1535-1984 at FamilySearch — index and images
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464185.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 88-90. Accessed and adapted 20 October, 2013.