Attleborough, Norfolk Genealogy
Guide to Attleborough, Norfolk ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Poor Law Union||Wayland|
|Parish registers: 1552|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
Attleborough Assumption of the Blessed Virgin St Mary or Attleborough St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Norwich.
The church dates from Saxon times when St Edmund spent a year with priests at Attleborough before his coronation in 856.
Originally the church was in the shape of a cross with the Norman tower at the centre but in 1386 Sir Robert Mortimer partitioned off the chancel for the use of a college of 5 priests and built the present enlarged nave for the use of the parish. The old chancel was demolished in the Reformation.
ATTLEBURGH, or Attleborough (St. Mary), a market-town and parish, in the union of Wayland, hundred of Shropham, W. division of Norfolk. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Wayland 1837-1974
Attleborough, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Attleborough, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 438/1-11
- Attleborough Wesleyan Methodist chapel for transcripts of Baptism 1813-1880 Norfolk Baptism Project
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
- 1861 District 3: Transcribed by Dale Young and hosted by Norfold Transcription Archives
- 1891 Census Surname Index transcribed by Pat Greetham
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
1664 Hearth Tax: Transcribed by Marg Keable and hosted by Norfolk Transcription Archives
- Attleborough on GenUKI
- Parish Information about Blessed Virgin Mary, Attleborough today
- British Listed Buildings
- Attleborough and History by Poppyland Publishing
- British History online
- Norfolk Churches
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 108-112. Date accessed: 28 Aug. 2013.
- 'Norfolk Parish Registers Browse', findmypast, accessed 31 July 2015.
- 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 21 February 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 22 March 2014.
- 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- Norfolk Transcription Archive, accessed 14 April 2014.
- 'Subscription Coverage Catalogue', TheGenealogist, accessed 11 January 2016.
- 'Norfolk Baptism Project 1813 to 1880,' Tinstaafl Transcripts, accessed 11 April 2014.